Giants Edge Cubs at Indian School Park
Jeremy Sy belted an RBI triple and a single and Nick Noonan singled, doubled and scored a run, as the Giants edged the Cubs 3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale, AZ.
The Cubs were held hitless by Giants pitchers through the first five innings, before breaking through with two runs in the top of the 6th.
Ricardo Marcano led off the inning with a line-drive single through the box, and advanced to 3rd base on a two-base throwing error on a pick-off attempt at 1st base. Marcano later scored on a 4-3 GO. Then Rashad Crawford walked with two outs, stole 2nd base, and scored on an Alberto Mineo line-drive double into the RF corner.
19-year old 6-7 Dominican RHP Jeferson Mejia made his U. S. game debut today (he was at Instructs last fall but didn't pitch in any games), and he struggled with his control over his 1.2 IP stint (40 pitches - only 17 strikes). He allowed two runs on two hits (both singles), three walks and a WP, and was unable to complete his second inning of work, but he also struck out three (all three swinging).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (4-3, F-7, BB, BB, R, SB)
2. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, F-7, RBI, CS)
3. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-6, 4-3)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-8, K)
5. Kevin Brown, LF: 0-3 (BB, F-9, K, K)
6. Eufran Vargas, C: 0-4 (L-3 DP, 6-3, 6-3, K)
7. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
8a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-2 (K, 4-3, RBI)
8b. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-1 (1-3)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
1. Trevor Graham: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 7/0 GO/FO, 43 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Jeferson Mejia: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (17 strikes)
NOTE: Mejia's second inning was stopped with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd
3. Zak Hermans: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eufran Vargas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.