Angel Miscues Help Cubs Rally for Victory
Roney Alcala singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Antonio Valerio singled twice, doubled, and collected two RBI, as the Cubs rallied for three runs in the 9th and defeated the Angels 5-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including four by Angel SS Franklin Torres.
Eloy Jimenez played RF for the first time in about a month. He has been nursing a sore right arm that has not prevented him from hitting but has kept him from throwing.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, F-7, K, SB)
2a. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, K, RBI)
2b. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-1 (HBP, E-1, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-5 (1B, 6-3, P-6, P-5, K+WP, R)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-2 (5-4 FC, E-6, R)
4b. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 3-U)
5. Antonio Valerio, DH: 3-5 (K, 2B, E-6, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (1-3, 6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, E-6)
7a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (F-8, 3-U)
7b. Mark Malave, PH-C: 0-2 (K, E-6, BB, CS)
8. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-6, K)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 3-U, 2B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
1. Tyler Ihrig: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 51 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Francisco Carrillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to score unearned run)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base - eventually scored unearned run)
4. LF Shamil Ubiera - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 2nd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-3 CS, 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
well, that's the past. we're left with the present. even though that past you're seeing is some weird black/white either/or where hybridization of ideas isn't allowed...nonetheless...
the present is ice skating, movies, concerts, beer gardens, hotels, office space and other wonderful baseball activities based around a young, successful baseball team.
All money making ventures, which would have been offset with a reasonable TV contract that previous ownership screwed up
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
of course not. maybe go ice skating and think about it a while. make advanced reservations at the hotel they're starting construction on. check new releases for possible entertainment from the movie screens they want installed. think about renting an office in the new office spaces. write a letter to the cubs requesting your favorite beer be added to the beer garden. lobby your favorite band to play the outdoor venue.
...and in between that maybe they can find $40-50m to invest in the product that all of this revolves around.
let's not get caught up on phrasing for a setup and lose the gist of the post. i don't care what one wants to call the playoff exit.
+they lost their playoff attempt
there. now we can focus on something other than not liking the tone of a line that's setting up a point.
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!