Angel Miscues Help Cubs Rally for Victory
Roney Alcala singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Antonio Valerio singled twice, doubled, and collected two RBI, as the Cubs rallied for three runs in the 9th and defeated the Angels 5-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including four by Angel SS Franklin Torres.
Eloy Jimenez played RF for the first time in about a month. He has been nursing a sore right arm that has not prevented him from hitting but has kept him from throwing.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, F-7, K, SB)
2a. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, K, RBI)
2b. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-1 (HBP, E-1, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-5 (1B, 6-3, P-6, P-5, K+WP, R)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-2 (5-4 FC, E-6, R)
4b. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 3-U)
5. Antonio Valerio, DH: 3-5 (K, 2B, E-6, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (1-3, 6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, E-6)
7a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (F-8, 3-U)
7b. Mark Malave, PH-C: 0-2 (K, E-6, BB, CS)
8. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-6, K)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 3-U, 2B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
1. Tyler Ihrig: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 51 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Francisco Carrillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to score unearned run)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base - eventually scored unearned run)
4. LF Shamil Ubiera - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 2nd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-3 CS, 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.