Alcala Helps Cubs Gain Split with Giants at Riverview
Roney Alcala singled, doubled, and tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Gleyber Torres reached base three times on a triple, a single, and an HBP, and scored a run, Zak Blair ripped an RBI single and an RBI triple, and LHSP Jose Paulino tossed three innings of no run/no hit ball, leading the Cubs to a 9-6 victory over the Giants on Field #6, and Craig Massoni singled and scored in the 7th and clubbed a two-run home run in the 8th as the Giants rallied for four runs over the final three innings to beat the Cubs 4-2 on Field #5, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
RHP Zak Hermans threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball and Eloy Jimenez knocked-in both Cub runs (RBI double in the 1st and RBI single in the 6th) in a losing cause on Field #5.
The 2013 VSL Batting Champion, Roney Alcala is now hitting 461/481/692 in 27 EXST PA, with five doubles and a triple and only two K.
Outfielder Jeffrey Baez collected two more stolen bases today and now has 10 in 10 attempts (0 CS) in just eight EXST games. He also is hitting 322/424/322 (all singles so far, but he tied for the team lead in HR last year at EXST). The 20-year old Baez is bult like an NFL linebacker, with plus-speed, outstanding outfield defense (he can play CF or RF), basestealing acumen, and a good eye at the plate (five walks in 33 PA so far). He could be a star with the Boise Hawks this summer.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (3B, 1B, HBP, F-8, F-9, R, CS)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 2-5 (1B, 3-1, 1B, P-3, F-7, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-5 (1B, 1B, K, P-4, F-9, R, 2 SB)
4a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-2 (3B, L-7, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Justin Marra, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-5 (3B, L-7, 1B, 2B, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 2-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, F-8, HBP, R)
8. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 3-U, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 3-1, E-6, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/FO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 33 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed a baserunner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd)
3. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (throwing error on attenpted 4-6 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
4. P Alberto Diaz - E-1 (two-base throwing error on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd base)
5. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (throwing error after catching pop fly allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, K)
2. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 1-3, 5-3, 4-3, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 5-3, 1B, BB, R)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5a Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 2B)
5b. Mark Malave, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, K, 6-3, K)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-3 (6-3, F-8, 1B)
7b. Erick Castillo, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, K)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-3 (4-3, K, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Zak Hermans: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GO/FO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 43 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 57 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Eregua's second inning was stopped with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Llano - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus