Alcala Helps Cubs Gain Split with Giants at Riverview
Roney Alcala singled, doubled, and tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Gleyber Torres reached base three times on a triple, a single, and an HBP, and scored a run, Zak Blair ripped an RBI single and an RBI triple, and LHSP Jose Paulino tossed three innings of no run/no hit ball, leading the Cubs to a 9-6 victory over the Giants on Field #6, and Craig Massoni singled and scored in the 7th and clubbed a two-run home run in the 8th as the Giants rallied for four runs over the final three innings to beat the Cubs 4-2 on Field #5, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
RHP Zak Hermans threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball and Eloy Jimenez knocked-in both Cub runs (RBI double in the 1st and RBI single in the 6th) in a losing cause on Field #5.
The 2013 VSL Batting Champion, Roney Alcala is now hitting 461/481/692 in 27 EXST PA, with five doubles and a triple and only two K.
Outfielder Jeffrey Baez collected two more stolen bases today and now has 10 in 10 attempts (0 CS) in just eight EXST games. He also is hitting 322/424/322 (all singles so far, but he tied for the team lead in HR last year at EXST). The 20-year old Baez is bult like an NFL linebacker, with plus-speed, outstanding outfield defense (he can play CF or RF), basestealing acumen, and a good eye at the plate (five walks in 33 PA so far). He could be a star with the Boise Hawks this summer.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (3B, 1B, HBP, F-8, F-9, R, CS)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 2-5 (1B, 3-1, 1B, P-3, F-7, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-5 (1B, 1B, K, P-4, F-9, R, 2 SB)
4a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-2 (3B, L-7, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Justin Marra, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-5 (3B, L-7, 1B, 2B, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 2-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
7. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, F-8, HBP, R)
8. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 3-U, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (F-9, 3-1, E-6, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/FO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 33 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Alberto Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 5
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding errror allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed a baserunner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd)
3. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (throwing error on attenpted 4-6 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
4. P Alberto Diaz - E-1 (two-base throwing error on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd base)
5. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (throwing error after catching pop fly allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, 4-3, K)
2. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 1-3, 5-3, 4-3, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 5-3, 1B, BB, R)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
5a Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 2B)
5b. Mark Malave, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, K, 6-3, K)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-3 (6-3, F-8, 1B)
7b. Erick Castillo, PH: 1-1 (1B)
8. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, K)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-3 (4-3, K, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Zak Hermans: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Carlos Llano: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GO/FO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Yomar Morel: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 43 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 57 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Eregua's second inning was stopped with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Llano - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.