Soler Collects an O-fer & Beeler Throws 6-Plus at Riverview Park
Nataniel Delgado belted an RBI triple and a double and scored a run, Brandon Bayardi stroked two RBI singles, and veteran MLB LHP Sean Burnett (2013 elbow surgery rehab) and five relievers combined to toss a three-hitter with ten strikeouts, as the Angels defeated the Cubs 4-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Jorge Soler (hamstring injury rehab) played RF for five innings (first time he has played in the outfield in about a month) and batted once in each of the first five innings, going 0-5 with five ground outs.
RHP Dallas Beeler continued his EXST rehab assignment, throwing 6.1 IP (60 pitches - 44 strikes) and allowing three runs (all earned) on six hits (five singles and a triple) and a walk, while striking out two and (once again) getting a ton of ground balls (12/3 GO/FO, plus another grounder that turned into an error).
THE PITCHING LINES FROM DALLAS BEELER'S FOUR EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (31 strikes)
4/19 - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 7/1 GO/FO, 63 pitches (44 strikes)
4/25 - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 9/2 GO/FO, 68 pitches (45 strikes)
4/30 - 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 12/3 GO/FO, 60 pitches (44 strikes)
TOTAL: 18.0 IP, 21 H, 9 R (9 ER), 4 BB, 11 K, 1 PO, 30/6 GO/FO, 71% strikes, 4.50 ERA, 1.39 WHIP
In EXST player news, Cubs 2012 5th round draft pick LHP Anthony Prieto (Americas HS - El Paso,TX) has undergone "Tommy John" ligament replacement surgery (TJS) on his left elbow and will miss the 2014 season. The 20-year old lefty threw only 40 innings (combined) for the AZL Cubs over his first two seasons in the Cub organization.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Jorge Soler, RF: 0-5 (6-3, 1-3, 5-3, 5-3, 6-3)
NOTE Soler batted third in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 1B, P-3, R)
2. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (K, F-7, BB, 3B)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (F-8 SF, K, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-4 (2B, F-9, K, K)
5. Roney Alcala, 3B: 0-3 (K, 3-U, 6-3)
6. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 0-2 (K, 4-3, BB)
8. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3, BB)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-2 (6-3, HBP, K, R)
1. Dallas Beeler: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 12/3 GO/FO, 60 pitches (44 strikes)
2. David Garner: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/0 GO/FO, 24 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Jose Paulino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. C Justin Marra - E-2 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P David Garner - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
rain delay...thanks obama.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.