Pena Punishes Pineiro As Giants Double Their Pleasure at Riverview Park
Julio Pena smacked a three-run home run off Joel Pineiro and RHP Chris Johnson threw four innings of one-run ball and struck out six (including Jorge Soler twice), leading the Giants to a 6-2 victory over the Cubs on Field #6, and Will Callaway, Brad Moss, and Fernando Pujadas stroked RBI doubles as the Giants edged the Cubs 6-5 on Field #5, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Jeffrey Baez laced an RBI triple and a double and scored a run and RHP Trevor Clifton threw 2.2 IP of shutout relief with five strikeouts in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #5, and Mark Malave accounted for both Cub runs on Field #6 with an RBI double and an RBI single.
Jorge Soler (hamstring rehab) played RF for seven innings on Field #6 and batted six times, once in each of the first six innings, He struck out (swinging) on a 1-2 pitch in the bottom of the 1st, was called out on strikes on a 1-2 pitch in the 2nd, bounced-out 6-3 in the 3rd, roped a line-drive single to left (and then stole 2nd base!) in the 4th, reached base on an HBP (he was hit on the right inner elbow) in the 5th (his 3rd HBP in five EXST games this week), and then he struck out (swinging) on a pitch over his head in his final AB in the 6th.
While he is still a bit rusty at the plate (he is hitting only 182/269/227 with no walks, five strikeouts, three HBP, and four hits--three singles and a double--in 26 EXST PA), he is running and playing outfield defense without any apparent difficulty, and so today could very well be the end of his EXST rehab. So don't be surprised if he is back with AA Tennessee by Monday.
35-year old veteran MLB RHP Joel Pineiro was the starting pitcher for the Cubs on Field #6, his fifth EXST outing since signing with the Cubs on March 30th. Pineiro worked five innings (62 pitches), allowing three runs (all earned) on five hits (three singles, a double, and the Pena three-run HR), and two walks. He struck out only one, but had a 10/4 GO/FO.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM JOEL PINEIRO'S FIVE 2014 EXST OUTINGS:
4/12 - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 8/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (48 strikes)
4/17 - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 7/2 GO/FO, 66 pitches (43 strikes)
4/22 - 4.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 76 pitches (51 strikes)
4/28 - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/FO, 60 pitches (45 strikes)
5/3 - 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 10/4 GO/FO, 62 pitches (42 strikes)
TOTAL: 22.2 IP, 27 H, 18 R (16 ER), 6 BB, 17 K, 1 HR, 3 WP, 2 GIDP, 32/13 GO/FO, 70% strikes, 6.35 ERA, 1.46 WHIP
Both games were stopped by mutual-agreement after 7-1/2 innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Jorge Soler, RF: 1-5 (K, K, 6-3, 1B, HBP, K, SB)
NOTE: Soler batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th innings
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (K, K, BB, 4-3)
2. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, K, 2B)
3. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-3, BB)
4. Shamil Ubiera, CF: 0-3 (6-3, 5-3, F-8)
5. Roney Alcala, 3B: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, R)
6. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-3 (P-3 DP, 1B, 5-3)
7a. Eufran Vargas, DH: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, R)
7b. Kevin Brown, RF: NO AB
8. Mark Malave, C: 2-3 (2B, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Joel Pineiro: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 10/4 GO/FO, 62 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 26 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Hector Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 29 pitches (16 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (6-3, 2B, 3B, P-5, R, RBI)
2. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (K, BB, 2B, K, RBI)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 1-3 (BB, 3-U DP, P-4, 3B, SB)
4. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-4 (K, L-1, 3-U, F-7)
5. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-8, BB, 2 R, SB)
6. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, 1-3)
7. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-2 (4-3, F-8, BB, R, RBI)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-2 (K, BB, K, R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jeferson Mejia: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
2. Trevor Clifton: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 3 WP, 2/1 GO/FO, 43 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/FO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 6/0 GO/FO, 15 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Carlos Llano: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
CF Jeffrey Baez - E-8 (throwing error after single to CF allowed runner to score from 3rd base)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.