More Errors at Salt River Fields Than Can Be Imagined in Your Philosophy
Emerson Jimenez (2012 NDFA - Dominican Republic - $275K bonus) stroked a two-run single and David Bergin and Miguel Dilone followed with RBI triples to highlight a four-run 3rd inning, Hamlet Marte belted an RBI triple in the 6th and doubled and scored in the 8th, Marcos Derkes collected three hits, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Ryan Garvey blasted a two-run home run, leading the Rockies to a 9-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action thiis morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Brown (a double and three walks) and Zak Blair (two singles and two walks) reached base four times a piece for the Cubs in a losing cause. (The Cubs left 11 men on base and had three runners thrown out on the bases).
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including six by the Cubs and three by the Rockies.
Casper Wells (back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, serving as a DH and batting five times (once in each of the first five innings). He drew a two-out walk in the 1st inning, reached base on an HBP in the 2nd, lined out to 2nd base in the 3rd, ripped a two-run double down the LF line in the 4th and then later scored on a Ricardo Marcano RBI single, and struck out (swinging) on a 1-2 slider (from a LHP) in the 5th.
In EXST roster news, OF Jorge Soler (hamstring) has completed his rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training and will be rejoining AA Tennessee. In seven EXST Cactus League games (34 Plate Appearances), Soler hit 179/265/214 with five hits (four singles and a double), one walk, three HBP, five strikeouts, two sacrifice flies, five RBI, and one stolen base.
Also, RHP Michael Wagner has been moved up to Kane County from Extended Spring Training. The 22-year old 6'4 200 Wagner was the Cubs 15th round pick in last June's MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of San Diego, where he was the USD closer, second-team All-American, and a teammate of Cubs mega-prospect Kris Bryant.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM MICHAEL WAGNER'S FIVE 2014 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
4/18 - 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
4/21 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (20 strikes)
4/26 - INTRASQUAD GAME
4/29 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5/2 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (20 strikes)
TOTAL: 9.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 10 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 7/10 GO/FO, 62% strikes, 1.92 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .222 OppBA
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Casper Wells, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, HBP, L-4, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Wells batted 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-3, 6-3, K, 1-3, F-8)
2. Justin Marra, 1B-C: 0-5 (3-U, 3-U, F-9, F-7, F-8)
3. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, BB, CS, PO)
4. Alberto Mineo, DH-1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Antonio Valerio, C-DH: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (HBP, 6-3, F-7, E-5, 2 R)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, PO)
8. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 2B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, BB, L-7, 2 RBI)
1. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 6
1. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base - 1B+E4)
2, 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P. Luis Hernandez - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
4. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (missed catch - dropped line-drive allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
5. P Jasvir Rakkar - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
6. C Justin Marra: E-2 (errant return throw to pitcher after pitch allowed runner at 3rd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Antonio Valerio: 1-2 CS
2. Justin Marra: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Theo was trying to clear the mess that Hendr left
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.