More Errors at Salt River Fields Than Can Be Imagined in Your Philosophy
Emerson Jimenez (2012 NDFA - Dominican Republic - $275K bonus) stroked a two-run single and David Bergin and Miguel Dilone followed with RBI triples to highlight a four-run 3rd inning, Hamlet Marte belted an RBI triple in the 6th and doubled and scored in the 8th, Marcos Derkes collected three hits, stole a base, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Ryan Garvey blasted a two-run home run, leading the Rockies to a 9-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action thiis morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Brown (a double and three walks) and Zak Blair (two singles and two walks) reached base four times a piece for the Cubs in a losing cause. (The Cubs left 11 men on base and had three runners thrown out on the bases).
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including six by the Cubs and three by the Rockies.
Casper Wells (back spasms) continued his EXST rehab, serving as a DH and batting five times (once in each of the first five innings). He drew a two-out walk in the 1st inning, reached base on an HBP in the 2nd, lined out to 2nd base in the 3rd, ripped a two-run double down the LF line in the 4th and then later scored on a Ricardo Marcano RBI single, and struck out (swinging) on a 1-2 slider (from a LHP) in the 5th.
In EXST roster news, OF Jorge Soler (hamstring) has completed his rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training and will be rejoining AA Tennessee. In seven EXST Cactus League games (34 Plate Appearances), Soler hit 179/265/214 with five hits (four singles and a double), one walk, three HBP, five strikeouts, two sacrifice flies, five RBI, and one stolen base.
Also, RHP Michael Wagner has been moved up to Kane County from Extended Spring Training. The 22-year old 6'4 200 Wagner was the Cubs 15th round pick in last June's MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of San Diego, where he was the USD closer, second-team All-American, and a teammate of Cubs mega-prospect Kris Bryant.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM MICHAEL WAGNER'S FIVE 2014 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
4/18 - 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
4/21 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (20 strikes)
4/26 - INTRASQUAD GAME
4/29 - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
5/2 - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (20 strikes)
TOTAL: 9.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 10 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 7/10 GO/FO, 62% strikes, 1.92 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, .222 OppBA
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Casper Wells, DH #1: 1-3 (BB, HBP, L-4, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Wells batted 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-5 (4-3, 6-3, K, 1-3, F-8)
2. Justin Marra, 1B-C: 0-5 (3-U, 3-U, F-9, F-7, F-8)
3. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, BB, CS, PO)
4. Alberto Mineo, DH-1B: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Antonio Valerio, C-DH: 0-2 (F-7, BB, BB, K, R)
6. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (HBP, 6-3, F-7, E-5, 2 R)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 2-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 1B, RBI, PO)
8. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 2B, R)
9. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, BB, L-7, 2 RBI)
1. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 48 pitches (35 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 6
1. 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base - 1B+E4)
2, 2B Zak Blair - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P. Luis Hernandez - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
4. LF Arnaldo Calero - E-7 (missed catch - dropped line-drive allowing batter to reach 2nd base safely)
5. P Jasvir Rakkar - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
6. C Justin Marra: E-2 (errant return throw to pitcher after pitch allowed runner at 3rd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Antonio Valerio: 1-2 CS
2. Justin Marra: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."