A's Extra Bases Too Much for Cubs to Overcome at Riverview Park
Christhian Perez tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball in relief, Robert Martinez hammered an RBI triple and a double and scored a run, Chris Wolfe drilled two RBI singles, and Brett Vertigan smacked a solo home run, leading the Athletics to a 5-2 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Rashad Crawford belted an RBI triple and a single, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHPs Trevor Graham and Erick Leal "piggy-backed" for the Cubs and threw a combined 7.2 IP, allowing all five runs (four earned), 10 hits (including two doubles, two triples, and a home run), and two walks, with nine strikeouts.
The way things are playing out so far at EXST, it appears very likely that Graham and Leal will form 2/5 of the Boise starting rotation when the NWL season commences next month, with LHP Tyler Ihrig and RHPs Trevor Clifton and Zak Hermans being other 3/5 (at least until one or two of the better college pitchers selected by the Cubs in next month's First-Year Player Draft get stretched-out to start).
The Cubs have now lost six straight Cactus League EXST games, and after thirty games (halfway through the Cactus League Extended Spring Training schedule), the Cubs record stands at 11-18-1.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (L-7, BB, BB, F-7, 2 R)
2. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, P-6, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9 SF, 1-3, K, RBI)
4. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, 5-3, BB, SB)
5. Mark Malave, C: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, P-3, 4-3)
6. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, 2B, K)
7. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-4 (F-9, 4-3, 6-3, 1B)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (4-3, K, F-9, K)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-4 (K, 3-U, 4-3, 4-3)
1. Trevor Graham: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 2/6 GO/FO, 52 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 3/2 GO/FO, 68 pitches (44 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (missed catch - dropped line drive allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with a few scattered clouds and temperatures in the 80's
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.