A's Extra Bases Too Much for Cubs to Overcome at Riverview Park
Christhian Perez tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball in relief, Robert Martinez hammered an RBI triple and a double and scored a run, Chris Wolfe drilled two RBI singles, and Brett Vertigan smacked a solo home run, leading the Athletics to a 5-2 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Rashad Crawford belted an RBI triple and a single, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHPs Trevor Graham and Erick Leal "piggy-backed" for the Cubs and threw a combined 7.2 IP, allowing all five runs (four earned), 10 hits (including two doubles, two triples, and a home run), and two walks, with nine strikeouts.
The way things are playing out so far at EXST, it appears very likely that Graham and Leal will form 2/5 of the Boise starting rotation when the NWL season commences next month, with LHP Tyler Ihrig and RHPs Trevor Clifton and Zak Hermans being other 3/5 (at least until one or two of the better college pitchers selected by the Cubs in next month's First-Year Player Draft get stretched-out to start).
The Cubs have now lost six straight Cactus League EXST games, and after thirty games (halfway through the Cactus League Extended Spring Training schedule), the Cubs record stands at 11-18-1.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (L-7, BB, BB, F-7, 2 R)
2. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-4 (1B, 3B, P-6, K, R, RBI, SB)
3. Oliver Zapata, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9 SF, 1-3, K, RBI)
4. Rony Rodriguez, 1B: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, 5-3, BB, SB)
5. Mark Malave, C: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, P-3, 4-3)
6. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, 2B, K)
7. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-4 (F-9, 4-3, 6-3, 1B)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (4-3, K, F-9, K)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-4 (K, 3-U, 4-3, 4-3)
1. Trevor Graham: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 2/6 GO/FO, 52 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 3/2 GO/FO, 68 pitches (44 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (missed catch - dropped line drive allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with a few scattered clouds and temperatures in the 80's
Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 9th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.
Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well.
M. Carpenter actually leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.
@jonahkeri Joe Maddon living out Joe Maddon fanfic IRL tonight
Make that 1-7, 4 RBI.
i like how strop played LF with his "crooked cap" look...that's not just for the mound.
let baez pitch the 15th, he earned it.
Forget the save, finally Javier!!
Can a pitcher get more than one hold in a game? Or a Win and a save?
This is the most beautiful thing ever.
all i wanna know is...when's d.ross gonna pitch?
Maddon is over-managing the shit out of this game.
Javy 0-6. At least he's consistent.
What's with the Travis Wood stuff? Is it because he pitched the last 2 games?