Wed Funnies...meanwhile, back at Wrigley Field...

Timing has never been kind to the Cubs, and this "Party of the Century" is really, really unfortunate.

When I heard the first little blip about it being 1930's week and they mentioned "paint the sign green" and "Benjamin Moore" in the same sentence, well this one just wrote itself.
I'm totally a "Kool Aid drinker", as the beat guy for the Sun Times likes to call me (and you), and this will be the hardest season by far.
They're really not ready to bring people up.
To manage my own expectations, I've taken the possibility off the table in my own head.
Imagine if Javier Baez was in the Bigs right now...
Theo and Jed, before this season is over, are going to have to be thicker-skinned than anybody affilitated with the Cubs ever had to be.
Lee Elia?
A total sissy.
Next year, you have to think, they'll be able to show a tiny bit of The Plan coming to life.
In the Bigs.
Did you see Coghlan's at bat in the top of the 9th last night?
Yeah, Rosenthal's pretty good, but...
That at bat made me yell more unrepeatable words at the dogs than anything else that happened.

Besides Castro and Rizzo and assorted pitchers, about the only reason to watch right now is Mike Olt.
Not just for dingers, either - if Mike Olt can play third base and just be ummm... rookie-respectable - he seems like the one 2014 guy who Theo and Jed can point to and say, "See? Progress."
His role in the overall deal can be huge.
And his time is now so let him play every single day.

Comments

"And his time is now so let him play every single day."

Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't have any dogs to yell at but that Coghlan at-bat had me scratching my head.

He did see three pitches, you have to give him that. Coghlan made it to the majors as an on-base guy (.383 OBP in the minors) with more walks than strikeouts.

It used to be, you could depend on a Cub hitter getting up there and hacking. That's changing, and for the better. But sometimes you'll get the opposite problem where he won't be able to pull the trigger.

He bailed out on three fast balls.

He acted like they were going to him on the ass.

Odorizzi had a no-hitter through 5.2 IP....sitting on my fantasy bench.

#firstworldproblems

CubbyBlue this one is epic and AMAZING! Laughed my ass off at the end too . .

Thanks Carlito. I think I babbled too much underneath though.

No game

• Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.

cubbies.4ever 1 hour 48 min ago view
  • Interesting choices when guys get healthy.

LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.

Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

• oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

• Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 7 hours 40 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY:  Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues,  so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Arizona Phil 7 hours 46 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 10 hours 9 min ago view
  • Baez had Maddon's ass last night. I didn't hear the reason for taking Contreras out last night but whatever game management thingy it was, you don't take out your second hottest hitter. Or is he third? Anyway, you don't take him out. The guy can probably play anywhere in the field, anyway. Did anybody see that nice catch in left he made? I don't think he got a late start on that, just tracked it damn well for a catcher.

• Per Fangraphs...

Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 8th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.

Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well (9th), Zobrist with a 2.7 (14th).

M. Carpenter leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.

• Amen