Wed Funnies...meanwhile, back at Wrigley Field...

Timing has never been kind to the Cubs, and this "Party of the Century" is really, really unfortunate.

When I heard the first little blip about it being 1930's week and they mentioned "paint the sign green" and "Benjamin Moore" in the same sentence, well this one just wrote itself.
I'm totally a "Kool Aid drinker", as the beat guy for the Sun Times likes to call me (and you), and this will be the hardest season by far.
They're really not ready to bring people up.
To manage my own expectations, I've taken the possibility off the table in my own head.
Imagine if Javier Baez was in the Bigs right now...
Theo and Jed, before this season is over, are going to have to be thicker-skinned than anybody affilitated with the Cubs ever had to be.
Lee Elia?
A total sissy.
Next year, you have to think, they'll be able to show a tiny bit of The Plan coming to life.
In the Bigs.
Did you see Coghlan's at bat in the top of the 9th last night?
Yeah, Rosenthal's pretty good, but...
That at bat made me yell more unrepeatable words at the dogs than anything else that happened.

Besides Castro and Rizzo and assorted pitchers, about the only reason to watch right now is Mike Olt.
Not just for dingers, either - if Mike Olt can play third base and just be ummm... rookie-respectable - he seems like the one 2014 guy who Theo and Jed can point to and say, "See? Progress."
His role in the overall deal can be huge.
And his time is now so let him play every single day.

Comments

"And his time is now so let him play every single day."

Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't have any dogs to yell at but that Coghlan at-bat had me scratching my head.

He did see three pitches, you have to give him that. Coghlan made it to the majors as an on-base guy (.383 OBP in the minors) with more walks than strikeouts.

It used to be, you could depend on a Cub hitter getting up there and hacking. That's changing, and for the better. But sometimes you'll get the opposite problem where he won't be able to pull the trigger.

He bailed out on three fast balls.

He acted like they were going to him on the ass.

Odorizzi had a no-hitter through 5.2 IP....sitting on my fantasy bench.

#firstworldproblems

CubbyBlue this one is epic and AMAZING! Laughed my ass off at the end too . .

Thanks Carlito. I think I babbled too much underneath though.

No game

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

The E-Man 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 2 hours 35 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers:

.....

13.C. Seager 0.7

Traditional stats

Crawford

.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned

Russell

• Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?

Eric S 6 hours 4 min ago view
  • Favorite Genesis video

jacos 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.

Eric S 7 hours 13 min ago view
  • Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.

Gonzalez and Morrison also honored.

VirginiaPhil 12 hours 33 min ago view
  • QuietMan 22 hours 45 min ago view
  • FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.

JoePepitone 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Jackstraw 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo

jacos 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."

i chose the classy route.

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ good shit goเฑฆิ sHit๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some good๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œshit right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ rightโœ”there โœ”โœ”if i do ฦฝaาฏ so my self ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: สณแถฆแตสฐแต— แต—สฐแต‰สณแต‰) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽฉ euphoric logic !euphoric loGic๐Ÿ‘Œ thats โœ” some euphoric๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ป logic right๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ปthere๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ Carl ๐Ÿ”ญ Sagan๐ŸŒŒ๐Ÿ’ซif i do ฦฝaาฏ so gentlemen ๐Ÿ’ฏ i say so ๐Ÿ’ฏ thats euPhoric logic right there Richard ๐Ÿ“’ Dawkins๐ŸŽฉ (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMแŽทะœ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘“๐Ÿ‘ŒะO0ะžเฌ OOOOOะžเฌ เฌ Ooooแต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’แต’๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘“๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ๐ŸŽฉ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œeuphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘€ john cena JOhN cEna

crunch 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.

The E-Man 1 day 4 hours ago view