Eloy Goes Deep and Strop Continues Rehab at Diablo Park
Raul Linares ripped a game-winning walk-off RBI double with two outs in the bottom of the 9th, as the Angels rallied from a four-run deficit to edge the Cubs 7-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
Eloy Jimenez belted a three-run home run and an RBI single, Jeffrey Baez singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored three runs, and Kevin Brown singled twice, walked, and scored two runs to help the Cubs take an early 4-0 lead, and Nataniel Delgado doubled twice and scored and Trevor Gretzky laced a two-run triple to aid the Angel comeback.
The Angels collected six doubles and one triple among their nine hits.
RHRP Pedro Strop (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - groin) continued his EXST rehab with a shutout inning (18 pitches - 10 strikes). Strop was not as sharp this morning in Tempe as he was on Saturday in Scottsdale, as he walked one and was behind in the count on just about every hitter, but he did not allow a hit, he struck out two, and he got the third out on a broken bat 5-3 GO.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, 3 R, SB)
1b. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Kevin Brown, LF: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, 2 R)
2b. Oliver Zapata, LF; 0-1 (K)
3. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 2-4 (HR, K, 1B, F-8, R, 4 RBI)
4a. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 3-U, 1B)
4b. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-1 (1B)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (F-8, E-5, K, 6-4-3 DP)
6. Mark Malave, DH #1: 0-4 (6-4 FC, 5-3, L-6 DP, 1-3)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, F-7)
8. Erick Castillo, C: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, 4-3, 6-3)
9. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 0-3 (F-7, P-6, F-7)
10. Shamil Ubiera, DH #2: 0-3 (F-9, 5-4-3 DP, F-7)
1. Frailyn Figueroa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
2. Pedro Strop: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Trevor Clifton: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 8/1 GO/FO, 63 pitches (37 strikes)
4. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 31 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Victor Salazar: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Varonex Cuevas: - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHER DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures 100+
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/
HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.
M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores) the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.
Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).
AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.
Eickhoff looks like a good young pitcher. Lets steal him!
Manny Rondon faced 13 batters ... and got 10 to K. Not a bad day's work.