Angels Net Nada from Pierce, Kyuji, and Rosscup at Riverview Park
RHP Pierce Johnson (AA Tennessee 7-day DL - calf - hadn't thrown in a game since May 19th), RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (Cubs MLB 60-day DL - 2013 TJS - hadn't thrown in a Cactus League EXST game since last Monday), and LHP Zac Rosscup (Cubs 15-day DL - shoulder - hadn't thrown in a game since May 9th) combined to toss 3.2 IP of two-hit shutout ball and Danny Canela belted a double and a triple for the Cubs, and LHP Jonah Wesely threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts for the Angels, as the two teams played to a 2-2 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
42-year old OF Manny Ramirez (signed by the Cubs last week to be a player-coach at AAA Iowa) has arrived at Riverview Park to get into playing shape, and so security has been increased. There was a definite uptick in attendance today (most-likely related to Manny's expected arrival), although ManRam did not play in the EXST game.
17-year old OF Eloy Jimenez was at Riverview Park today, too, watching the game from the bleachers (he hasn't played in a game since last Tuesday). Whether his trip to the DSL has been indefinitely postponed or just temporarily delayed remains to be seen. It would be nice if Eloy could play in at least one or two more Cactus League EXST games, though, since he leads the EXST Cubs in RBI and is (was) in the middle of a hot streak (hitting 360/385/640 since May 14th).
LHP Andin Diaz (who was assigned to the DSL Cubs last Friday) was not present at Riverview today and presumably has reported to the DSL Cubs, although (who knows?) maybe he'll pop up again, too.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-6-3 DP, HBP, K)
2a. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, F-8, K, R)
2b. Rony Rodriguez, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
3a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-9)
3b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3B, E-3)
4b. Charcer Burks, PR: NO AB (R)
5. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, K, BB)
6. Jesse Hodges, DH #2: 0-3 (K, L-8, K, BB)
7. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, F-8 SF, RBI)
8. Giuseppe Papaccio, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-9, BB)
9. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, BB, F-7, 4-3)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 1B)
1. Pierce Johnson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Kyuji Fujikawa: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Zac Rosscup: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Trevor Clifton: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
5. Josh Davis: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
3. SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored uinearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 27 (ManRam Fever! Catch It!)
WEATHER: Sunny & hot with temperatures 100+
Jerry Crasnick @jcrasnick 6h6 hours ago
#Braves are smitten with Jorge Soler, person said. Julio Teheran likely wouldn't get it done. Could Miller spark interest from #Cubs?
2018: $4M (or salary arbitration 2018-20)
2019: $4M (or salary arbitration 2019-20)
2020: $4M (or salary arbitration 2020)
1. Carlos Carrasco
2019: $9M (club option with $662,500 buy-out)
2020: $9.5M (club option with $662,500 buy-out)
- OR -
wow, so STL is ready to throw 30m down on a pitcher? yow...that changes the offseason outlook a bit.
it seems greenkey is supposedly not going to be a cub so it leaves cueto or trade...or scrap heap.
Guess who was runner-up in the Price is Right?
Not a fan of ex-cardinals. It was tough enough watching Jim Edmonds.
Hope they don't go after Shelby GT Miller
greenkey, cueto...or...umm...a trade with ATL?
the more pieces that fall, the more it seems like soler is going to be playing in ATL next year.
Price to Bosox 7/217
According to Rosenthal and boston globe
Sorry for the hijack, Phil.
~edit~ op out after year 3, no money deferred
So much for our 12-way tie on the predictions: http://bit.ly/1NWlEek
Greinke soon according Rosenthal
Giants or Dodgers and higher amount than Price
Not really a shock. Now there is little to stop the winter meetings from being really interesting.
Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!