Angels Net Nada from Pierce, Kyuji, and Rosscup at Riverview Park
RHP Pierce Johnson (AA Tennessee 7-day DL - calf - hadn't thrown in a game since May 19th), RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (Cubs MLB 60-day DL - 2013 TJS - hadn't thrown in a Cactus League EXST game since last Monday), and LHP Zac Rosscup (Cubs 15-day DL - shoulder - hadn't thrown in a game since May 9th) combined to toss 3.2 IP of two-hit shutout ball and Danny Canela belted a double and a triple for the Cubs, and LHP Jonah Wesely threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts for the Angels, as the two teams played to a 2-2 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
42-year old OF Manny Ramirez (signed by the Cubs last week to be a player-coach at AAA Iowa) has arrived at Riverview Park to get into playing shape, and so security has been increased. There was a definite uptick in attendance today (most-likely related to Manny's expected arrival), although ManRam did not play in the EXST game.
17-year old OF Eloy Jimenez was at Riverview Park today, too, watching the game from the bleachers (he hasn't played in a game since last Tuesday). Whether his trip to the DSL has been indefinitely postponed or just temporarily delayed remains to be seen. It would be nice if Eloy could play in at least one or two more Cactus League EXST games, though, since he leads the EXST Cubs in RBI and is (was) in the middle of a hot streak (hitting 360/385/640 since May 14th).
LHP Andin Diaz (who was assigned to the DSL Cubs last Friday) was not present at Riverview today and presumably has reported to the DSL Cubs, although (who knows?) maybe he'll pop up again, too.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-6-3 DP, HBP, K)
2a. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, F-8, K, R)
2b. Rony Rodriguez, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
3a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-9)
3b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3B, E-3)
4b. Charcer Burks, PR: NO AB (R)
5. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, K, BB)
6. Jesse Hodges, DH #2: 0-3 (K, L-8, K, BB)
7. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, F-8 SF, RBI)
8. Giuseppe Papaccio, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-9, BB)
9. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, BB, F-7, 4-3)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 1B)
1. Pierce Johnson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Kyuji Fujikawa: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Zac Rosscup: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Trevor Clifton: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
5. Josh Davis: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
3. SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored uinearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 27 (ManRam Fever! Catch It!)
WEATHER: Sunny & hot with temperatures 100+
KOYIES BANSAW: I would say Aaron Brooks is comparable to Dallas Beeler. When healthy, they both provide AAA starting pitcher depth until somethng better comes up through the pipeline. Maybe the "26th man" when the Cubs need a 6th starter for a doubleheader.
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.