Angels Net Nada from Pierce, Kyuji, and Rosscup at Riverview Park
RHP Pierce Johnson (AA Tennessee 7-day DL - calf - hadn't thrown in a game since May 19th), RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (Cubs MLB 60-day DL - 2013 TJS - hadn't thrown in a Cactus League EXST game since last Monday), and LHP Zac Rosscup (Cubs 15-day DL - shoulder - hadn't thrown in a game since May 9th) combined to toss 3.2 IP of two-hit shutout ball and Danny Canela belted a double and a triple for the Cubs, and LHP Jonah Wesely threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts for the Angels, as the two teams played to a 2-2 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
42-year old OF Manny Ramirez (signed by the Cubs last week to be a player-coach at AAA Iowa) has arrived at Riverview Park to get into playing shape, and so security has been increased. There was a definite uptick in attendance today (most-likely related to Manny's expected arrival), although ManRam did not play in the EXST game.
17-year old OF Eloy Jimenez was at Riverview Park today, too, watching the game from the bleachers (he hasn't played in a game since last Tuesday). Whether his trip to the DSL has been indefinitely postponed or just temporarily delayed remains to be seen. It would be nice if Eloy could play in at least one or two more Cactus League EXST games, though, since he leads the EXST Cubs in RBI and is (was) in the middle of a hot streak (hitting 360/385/640 since May 14th).
LHP Andin Diaz (who was assigned to the DSL Cubs last Friday) was not present at Riverview today and presumably has reported to the DSL Cubs, although (who knows?) maybe he'll pop up again, too.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-6-3 DP, HBP, K)
2a. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, F-8, K, R)
2b. Rony Rodriguez, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
3a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-9)
3b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3B, E-3)
4b. Charcer Burks, PR: NO AB (R)
5. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, K, BB)
6. Jesse Hodges, DH #2: 0-3 (K, L-8, K, BB)
7. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, F-8 SF, RBI)
8. Giuseppe Papaccio, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-9, BB)
9. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, BB, F-7, 4-3)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 1B)
1. Pierce Johnson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Kyuji Fujikawa: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Zac Rosscup: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Trevor Clifton: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
5. Josh Davis: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
3. SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored uinearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 27 (ManRam Fever! Catch It!)
WEATHER: Sunny & hot with temperatures 100+
Yeah... that was some very athletic stuff from Willson in the 9th. Impressive.
I think Chapman and Wood both need 2 days off -- rosters expand, bring 'em up!
Cubs now 41-15 in August in the Maddon era. That'll do. That will effing do.
31 pitches, 2 hits, 1 walk, and 3 wild pitches later...the cubs win by 1.
contreras snagged some other potential wild pitches in this chapman appearance.
22 wins in august. woo.
Down on the farm:
"Dealin'" Cease with another good outing for Eugene. Last 4 outings: 16IP, 1ER 29K. But, 10BB. Throw strikes, kid.
Candelario is killing it at Iowa after struggling at AA: .320/.406/.941 in 241AB. At age 22. Where the heck to put him next year?
UPDATE: Candy goes 3-5 tonight. Now hitting .325. Also, Almora 4-5, which is nice to see.
Happ and Jiminez to play in the AFL. Baseball is the best.
You magnificent Bastardo!
Difference is LaStella sucks, and Chapman doesn't
My guy Addy
he's attempting a comeback (or he's just very bored) and playing indie ball in the atlantic league...short-lived-cub brad snyder is also on his team.
very boring numbers for a guy with his experience in indie ball, though not bad numbers...probably not enough to get him a minor league deal at his age (33)
there goes heyward's gold glove win. bench him and bring up matt murton.
felt like 36 for sure....
Didn't LaHair hit 36 before the All Star Break? Then none after.
@CarrieMuskat 41s41 seconds ago Bryant is 1st #Cubs player to top 35 HRs since Aramis Ramirez hit 38 in 2006
surprised me, thought Soriano may have or Rizzo...maybe LaHair or Schierholtz too :)
Twitter tells me more boo's than cheers for LaStella.
What was the reaction in Chapman's first game? I was there about a week later and it was all cheers.
Not that the situations are a one-to-one, but...damn, priorities 'Murica.