Angels Net Nada from Pierce, Kyuji, and Rosscup at Riverview Park
RHP Pierce Johnson (AA Tennessee 7-day DL - calf - hadn't thrown in a game since May 19th), RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (Cubs MLB 60-day DL - 2013 TJS - hadn't thrown in a Cactus League EXST game since last Monday), and LHP Zac Rosscup (Cubs 15-day DL - shoulder - hadn't thrown in a game since May 9th) combined to toss 3.2 IP of two-hit shutout ball and Danny Canela belted a double and a triple for the Cubs, and LHP Jonah Wesely threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball with five strikeouts for the Angels, as the two teams played to a 2-2 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #4 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
42-year old OF Manny Ramirez (signed by the Cubs last week to be a player-coach at AAA Iowa) has arrived at Riverview Park to get into playing shape, and so security has been increased. There was a definite uptick in attendance today (most-likely related to Manny's expected arrival), although ManRam did not play in the EXST game.
17-year old OF Eloy Jimenez was at Riverview Park today, too, watching the game from the bleachers (he hasn't played in a game since last Tuesday). Whether his trip to the DSL has been indefinitely postponed or just temporarily delayed remains to be seen. It would be nice if Eloy could play in at least one or two more Cactus League EXST games, though, since he leads the EXST Cubs in RBI and is (was) in the middle of a hot streak (hitting 360/385/640 since May 14th).
LHP Andin Diaz (who was assigned to the DSL Cubs last Friday) was not present at Riverview today and presumably has reported to the DSL Cubs, although (who knows?) maybe he'll pop up again, too.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-6-3 DP, HBP, K)
2a. Mark Malave, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, F-8, K, R)
2b. Rony Rodriguez, PH-1B: 0-1 (K)
3a. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-9)
3b. Oliver Zapata, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Danny Canela, 1B: 2-4 (2B, F-7, 3B, E-3)
4b. Charcer Burks, PR: NO AB (R)
5. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, K, BB)
6. Jesse Hodges, DH #2: 0-3 (K, L-8, K, BB)
7. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-2 (1B, 3-U, BB, F-8 SF, RBI)
8. Giuseppe Papaccio, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, L-9, BB)
9. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (3-U, BB, F-7, 4-3)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, 1B)
1. Pierce Johnson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Kyuji Fujikawa: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Zac Rosscup: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Trevor Clifton: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
5. Josh Davis: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 17 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Giuseppe Papaccio - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
3. SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored uinearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
ATTENDANCE: 27 (ManRam Fever! Catch It!)
WEATHER: Sunny & hot with temperatures 100+
Ahhh...way to bring me down BB.
Still - a win tomorrow will be an acheivement regardless.
Don't mean to spoil your mood, but with tonight's win the are 3-5 on the trip with one to play.
While I'm bringing the room down -- Richard comes in to pitch the 9th with a 12-1 lead...and can't finish the game. Woof.
For some reason
It is remarkable how my mood has become uplifted with one game against the Cards.
That is sick.
But, I have been an addict for a long time.
A W tomorrow and it will be a .500 road trip.
Also, to keep the losses in perspective, if the Cubs were to lose 10 games a month - a lot at this current pace - they still end up 102-60. Six months of the ride!
So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?
And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.
I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.
What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?
Thanks as always for the info.
back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)
These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.
Another day, another eight runs
Zobrist just keeps squaring up - and Soler goes yard!
Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.
That's a good analogy, bb... Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.
Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!
this game is WAY better than last night.
6 run 1st for the cubs...