Cubs 2014 MLB Rule 4 Draft Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club after the conclusion of the draft any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless and until the NDFA enrolls in a junior college or four-year college, in which case MLB Rule 4 Draft eligibility rules apply.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA can be "Signed for Future Service" (contract is for the following season) if the player signs a contract after July 1st.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS 2014 RULE 4 DRAFT NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-7-2014):
1. Kyle Schwarber, C (Indiana U.) - JR
2. Jake Stinnett, RHP (U. of Maryland) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
3. Mark Zagunis, C (Virginia Tech) - JR
4. Carson Sands, LHP (North Florida Christian HS - Tallahassee, FL) - HS (NOTE: Florida State recruit)
5. Justin Steele, LHP (George County HS - Lucedale, MS) - HS (NOTE: Southern Mississippi recruit)
6. Dylan Cease, RHP (Milton HS - Milton, GA) - HS (NOTE: Vanderbilt recruit)
7. James Norwood, RHP (Saint Louis U.) - JR
8. Tommy Thorpe, LHP (U. of Oregon) - JR
9. James Farris, RHP (U. of Arizona) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
10. Ryan Williams, RHP (East Carolina) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Brink, RHP (Fresno State) - JR
12. Tanner Griggs, RHP (Angelina JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Texas A&M - Corpus Christi if he does not sign)
13. Kevonte Mitchell, 3B (Kennett HS - Kennett, MO) - HS (NOTE: Southeast Missouri State recruit)
14. Chesny Young, 2B (Mercer) - JR
15. Jeremy Null, RHP (Western Carolina) - JR
16. Jason Vosler, SS (Northeastern) - JR
17. Michael Knighton, RHP (Central Alabama CC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Troy if he does not sign)
18. Austyn Willis, RHP (Barstow HS - Barstow, CA) - HS (NOTE: UCSB recruit)
19. Brad Markey, RHP (Virginia Tech) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
20. John Tomasovich, SS (Charleston Southern) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Charles White, OF (U. of Maryland) - JR
22. Joey Martarano, 3B (Boise State) - FR (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
23. Isiah Gilliam, 1B-OF (Parkview HS - Lilburn, GA) - HS (NOTE: DRAFT-ELIGIBLE HS JR)
24. Daniel Spingola, OF (Georgia Tech) - JR
25. Tyler Pearson, C (Texas State) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
26. Zach Hedges, RHP (Azusa Pacific U.) - JR
27. Calvin Graves, OF (Franklin Pierce U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Jacob Niggemeyer, RHP (Olentangy Liberty HS - Powell, OH) - HS (NOTE: Ohio State recruit)
29. Gianni Zayas, RHP (Seminole State College) - JC2 (NOTE: Transferred to Seminole State from NC State)
30. Michael Cantu, C (Foy H. Moody HS - Corpus Christi, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Texas recruit)
31. Brad Deppermann, RHP (East Lake HS - Tarpon Springs, FL) - HS (U. of North Florida recruit)
32. Andrew Ely, 2B (U. of Washington) - JR
33. Brad Bass, RHP (Lincoln-Way Central HS - New Lenox, IL) - HS (NOTE: Notre Dame recruit)
34. Steven Kane, RHP (Cypress CC) - JC3 (NOTE: Will transfer to U. of Tennessee if he does not sign)
35. Jordan Minch, LHP (Purdue) - SOPH (DRAFT ELIGIBLE)
36. D. J. Peters, OF (Glendora HS - Glendora, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
37. Riley Adams, C (Canyon Crest Academy - San Diego, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of San Diego recruit)
38. Daniel Wasinger, C (Eastlake HS - El Paso, TX) - HS
39. David Petrino, C (Central Arizona JC) - JC2 (NOTE: Will transfer to Oklahoma State if he does not sign)
40. Diamond Johnson, OF (Hillsborough HS - Tampa, FL) - HS (NOTE: St. Petersburg College recruit)
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.