Cubs Trade Russell and Speedy Neifi to Braves
Yesteday, the Cubs acquired LHP Felix Doubront for a player to be named later from the Boston Red Sox. A trade that I like a whole lot presuming the PTBNL isn't much and considering Doubront's ability to strikeout many hitters. A move to the NL Central certainly won't hurt his numbers either.
Today, the deadline has been rocking and the Cubs big moves were out of the way earlier in the month, but they have just traded Bonifacio and James Russell to the Braves. In return, they got catcher Victor Caratini, the Braves second round pick from last year. Here's what Sickels had to say about him before the season:
10) Victor Caratini, 3B-C, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Solid line drive hitter with good strike zone judgment, hit just one homer in the Appy League but some scouts believe that the homers will come in time. Others aren’t sure, but at least he has a good eye. Will be interesting to see how he adapts defensively.
After the jump, a breakdown of some of the other trades from the last few days...
- Cardinals get RHP Justin Masterson for OF prospect James Ramsey
- Cardinals get RHP John Lackey and LHP Corey Littrell from Red Sox for OF/1B Allen Craig and RHP Joe Kelly
- Brewers get OF Geraldo Parra from DBacks for OF Mitch Haniger, LHP Anthony Banda
- A's get LHP Jon Lester, OF Johnny Gomes and cash for OF Yoenis Cespedes and a competitive balance pick
- A's get OF Sam Fuld for LHP Tommy Milone
- Yankees acquire INF/OF Martin Prado for 1B prospect Pete O'Brien (3rd in the minors behind Joey Gallo and Bryant for HR's) and cash.
- Yankees and Red Sox swap INF Stephen Drew for INF/OF Kelly Johnson
- Marlins acquire RHP Jared Cosart, INF Kiki Hernandez, OF Austin Wates from Astros for OF Jake Marisnick, INF Colin Moran, RHP Francis Martes and competitive balance pick
- Tigers acquire LHP David Price in a 3-team swap with Rays getting LHP Drew Smyly, INF Willy Adames and INF Nick Franklin from the Mariners, who get OF Austin Jackson (that seems like an awful trade for the Rays).
- Orioles get LHP Andrew Miller from Red Sox for LHP Eduardo Rodriguez
- Mariners get OF Chris Denorfia for OF Abraham Almonte and RHP Stephen Kohlscheen from the Padres
Huzzah, you step out for 2 hours and all hell breaks loose. Some fun deals, really love how the Red Sox got major leaguers in their deals. Cardinals look well poised for another late season run and the Rays seemed to whiff on a deal, unless Drew Smyly is a lot better than I think he is.
Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.
"Like the Chapman deal for Cubs from on-field POV, wish I didn't now have to feel lousy following an otherwise likable Cubs team." @jonahkeri
pretty much sums up my feelings
You mean Yankees?
You do have a point. The TheoJed certainly would need to address this in a transparent way. Milton Bradley was no help to the team.
FWIW, the Cubs would get a compensation draft pick between the 1st & 2nd rounds (around #35) if they extend a Qualifying Offer to Chapman post-2016 (probably about $17M), Chapman declines, and then he signs with another MLB club before next year's draft.
This all assumes Chapman doesn't want to be a free agent and possibly sign a $20MM+/year deal. We all know free agents get overpaid, sometimes dramatically (Hello, JayHey!). Not sure why Chapman would agree to the extension. If i'm is agent, I would tell him I could get I'm a $100M deal as a FA.
I'll root for the uniform and imagine it's left-handed Rod Beck or Randy Myers out there I suppose.
Amen to this. I guess it's gonna happen and I'm gonna have to suck it up but I really despise domestic abusers with every bone in my body and cannot stand them on any team I root for.
I just prefer they don't acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.
So you'd rather go with Blown Save guy, when you can trade a prospect who is blocked for one piece that could get you over the top to the Big Dance? That is pretty old thinking. This is not a move that they cannot recover from if it goes south. But the upside is potentially historic.
I'd prefer it not happen too.
it's a hell of a blockbuster, but it's for a guy who pitches 1/3rd of a season at an extreme premium considering the guy being traded and if the early extension $$$ rumors are true.
it's one of those things that is bringing a guy at the top his game, but something is nagging me that this trade piece could have been put to better use.
a huge part of me is all "hell yeah, top of the line producer"...another part of me is "hmm, that for that?"
Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.
obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees
Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.
Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.
But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.