Cubs Trade Russell and Speedy Neifi to Braves
Yesteday, the Cubs acquired LHP Felix Doubront for a player to be named later from the Boston Red Sox. A trade that I like a whole lot presuming the PTBNL isn't much and considering Doubront's ability to strikeout many hitters. A move to the NL Central certainly won't hurt his numbers either.
Today, the deadline has been rocking and the Cubs big moves were out of the way earlier in the month, but they have just traded Bonifacio and James Russell to the Braves. In return, they got catcher Victor Caratini, the Braves second round pick from last year. Here's what Sickels had to say about him before the season:
10) Victor Caratini, 3B-C, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Solid line drive hitter with good strike zone judgment, hit just one homer in the Appy League but some scouts believe that the homers will come in time. Others aren’t sure, but at least he has a good eye. Will be interesting to see how he adapts defensively.
After the jump, a breakdown of some of the other trades from the last few days...
- Cardinals get RHP Justin Masterson for OF prospect James Ramsey
- Cardinals get RHP John Lackey and LHP Corey Littrell from Red Sox for OF/1B Allen Craig and RHP Joe Kelly
- Brewers get OF Geraldo Parra from DBacks for OF Mitch Haniger, LHP Anthony Banda
- A's get LHP Jon Lester, OF Johnny Gomes and cash for OF Yoenis Cespedes and a competitive balance pick
- A's get OF Sam Fuld for LHP Tommy Milone
- Yankees acquire INF/OF Martin Prado for 1B prospect Pete O'Brien (3rd in the minors behind Joey Gallo and Bryant for HR's) and cash.
- Yankees and Red Sox swap INF Stephen Drew for INF/OF Kelly Johnson
- Marlins acquire RHP Jared Cosart, INF Kiki Hernandez, OF Austin Wates from Astros for OF Jake Marisnick, INF Colin Moran, RHP Francis Martes and competitive balance pick
- Tigers acquire LHP David Price in a 3-team swap with Rays getting LHP Drew Smyly, INF Willy Adames and INF Nick Franklin from the Mariners, who get OF Austin Jackson (that seems like an awful trade for the Rays).
- Orioles get LHP Andrew Miller from Red Sox for LHP Eduardo Rodriguez
- Mariners get OF Chris Denorfia for OF Abraham Almonte and RHP Stephen Kohlscheen from the Padres
Huzzah, you step out for 2 hours and all hell breaks loose. Some fun deals, really love how the Red Sox got major leaguers in their deals. Cardinals look well poised for another late season run and the Rays seemed to whiff on a deal, unless Drew Smyly is a lot better than I think he is.
3rd time this season he's given up 6+ runs to PIT...only team he's given up 6+ runs to this season.
7 runs is the most he's given up since august 6th in colorado...in 2014.
Over 100 pitches, only the 5th.
coghlan out...got his cleats stuck in the wall attempting a play (failed, but looked great doing it). walking off on his own, precautionary/day-to-day looking stuff...hopefully not worse.
also, jake arrieta is literally worse than hitler. 1-5, bottom 5. ...make that 1-6, bottom 5. ...make that 1-7, bottom 5.
Coghlan crashes into wall and comes up limping, looks like left knee or ankle. Leaves game...
Arrieta inspiring no confidence yet again.
from a sun-times article that I won't link to so you don't have to bear the ad-loading that will crush your browser
When he left Boston after nine years as general manager, Epstein said he believed in the philosophy espoused by legendary football coach Bill Walsh: essentially that 10 years is a natural shelf life for a high-stress job.
Despite a somewhat slumping September for Bryant (233/310/411), he still leads the NL in WAR by a healthy margin in both fWAR(8.4 vs 7.6 for Seager) and bWAR (7.6 to 6.5 for Freeman...Seager is tied for 3rd with Arenado at 6.2)
If you just want to look at offense, Bryant is 4th in the NL in wRC+ behind Votto, Murphy and Freeman with Rizzo in 5th (and possibly ahead after tonight).
hey everyone, this guy...this is the guy we blame.
have fun in chicago.
I hate to put the jinx on, but I just bought a plane ticket to Chicago for the last weekend in October.
Glove-gate? bottom 4th, Rizzo-Zobrist and I don't get it. Is it 3-4 or 3-4 putout. Rizzo gets 2nd base qualification in fantasy leagues?
a.rizzo now playing 2nd in a lineup position switch because c.hurdle bitched about rizzo changing gloves and slotting to 2nd on an anticipated bunt play.
now he's got a PO playing as a 2nd baseman. neat.
dfa jake arrieta.
free tim federowicz.
9/11 was an inside job.
rizzo #32...ties career high.
The team, farm and scouting system were barren when they arrive.
They punted two seasons, third season 73 wins which is what happened about 75% of the time in last 50 years
there was more than one way to get there
supposedly jed "who?" hoyer, too