Lou Piniella's Last Thoughts on the Playoffs

I read the Sun-Times writeup on an interview with Lou Piniella in yesterday's paper and thought it was worthy of TCR discussion.

''The two things that I take from the postseason are that I didn't get a chance to pitch [Ted] Lilly, and he was such an integral part of us getting there.."

Here's my translation of Lou's comment #1:

1) The Ted Lilly Fan Club Super Computer predicted this.

2) Lou prefers Jason Marquis to Jake Peavy or Rich Harden because the latter two makes it tougher to pitch Ted Lilly in the playoffs.

3) You should have seen Z's reaction when (Lou) told him Dempster was pitching game one and Ted Lilly was pitching game two vs LA.

And Lou's comment #2: "And, two, we've just got to figure out a way to score more runs in the postseason."

...then Lou says: Raul Ibanez is the type of professional hitter "that we are alluding to".

Translation:

1) I'm batting Raul 4th.

2) Defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense.

3) Is there a Raul Ibanez Fan Club Computer I can check with?

Comments

Hey Lou, how about putting your own players in the best possible position to succeed? Like not pulling your ace when he's pitching well and selecting good matchups for your struggling "professional" left-handed hitting outfielder.

It seems to work for Bob Melvin and Joe Torre.

TLFC is just thankful for the fact that, in 2010 or 2011, we will have perfected our cloning machine which will allow the Cubs to trot out a starting five rotation of Ted Lillys.

Our 2008 Playoff Mantra, "Get the Ball to Ted" (GTBTT) will then become a distant memory and Cub faithful can bask in the glory of Lillyhammers five days a week.

Are you out of your dual core processor? If we trotted out a rotation like that, we would lose 30 games in april, then proceed to win 100 games on the season.

I haven't heard the Lillyhammer pun before, that was well done. Is it a TLFC creation?

That's as old as Chad's movie quotes.

And music tastes.

Eh, nevermind. Changed my mind. My comment was in poor taste.

Here's looking at you, kid.

so much for old movie quotes...

Bluto: See if you can guess what I am now.
[puts cottage cheese ball in his mouth and hits his cheeks with his fists]

you're a junkie with a zit!

lol...drugs.

Cubster is a P I G pig!

Everyone knows there is no such a thing as a sanity clause.

from Rotoworld

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have backed off their pursuit of Jack Wilson after the Pirates asked for Chin-Lung Hu, Delwyn Young and a third player in return."

good luck with that Pirates...

Yeah I saw that, couldn't figure out what they were thinking. Maybe they are thinking what they got for Bay is the standard price for an established major leaguer, no matter how mediocre he is.

Maybe that was a typo. Sounds like a good deal for HACK Wilson.

Thanks crunch!!

It's mesmerizing

jacos 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

• Good work!

John Beasley 6 hours 41 min ago view
  • crunch 13 hours 18 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 13 hours 19 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 13 hours 52 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 14 hours 16 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

crunch 1 day 21 min ago view
  • And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 1 day 24 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk