Lou Piniella's Last Thoughts on the Playoffs

I read the Sun-Times writeup on an interview with Lou Piniella in yesterday's paper and thought it was worthy of TCR discussion.

''The two things that I take from the postseason are that I didn't get a chance to pitch [Ted] Lilly, and he was such an integral part of us getting there.."

Here's my translation of Lou's comment #1:

1) The Ted Lilly Fan Club Super Computer predicted this.

2) Lou prefers Jason Marquis to Jake Peavy or Rich Harden because the latter two makes it tougher to pitch Ted Lilly in the playoffs.

3) You should have seen Z's reaction when (Lou) told him Dempster was pitching game one and Ted Lilly was pitching game two vs LA.

And Lou's comment #2: "And, two, we've just got to figure out a way to score more runs in the postseason."

...then Lou says: Raul Ibanez is the type of professional hitter "that we are alluding to".

Translation:

1) I'm batting Raul 4th.

2) Defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense.

3) Is there a Raul Ibanez Fan Club Computer I can check with?

Comments

Hey Lou, how about putting your own players in the best possible position to succeed? Like not pulling your ace when he's pitching well and selecting good matchups for your struggling "professional" left-handed hitting outfielder.

It seems to work for Bob Melvin and Joe Torre.

TLFC is just thankful for the fact that, in 2010 or 2011, we will have perfected our cloning machine which will allow the Cubs to trot out a starting five rotation of Ted Lillys.

Our 2008 Playoff Mantra, "Get the Ball to Ted" (GTBTT) will then become a distant memory and Cub faithful can bask in the glory of Lillyhammers five days a week.

Are you out of your dual core processor? If we trotted out a rotation like that, we would lose 30 games in april, then proceed to win 100 games on the season.

I haven't heard the Lillyhammer pun before, that was well done. Is it a TLFC creation?

That's as old as Chad's movie quotes.

And music tastes.

Eh, nevermind. Changed my mind. My comment was in poor taste.

Here's looking at you, kid.

so much for old movie quotes...

Bluto: See if you can guess what I am now.
[puts cottage cheese ball in his mouth and hits his cheeks with his fists]

you're a junkie with a zit!

lol...drugs.

Cubster is a P I G pig!

Everyone knows there is no such a thing as a sanity clause.

from Rotoworld

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have backed off their pursuit of Jack Wilson after the Pirates asked for Chin-Lung Hu, Delwyn Young and a third player in return."

good luck with that Pirates...

Yeah I saw that, couldn't figure out what they were thinking. Maybe they are thinking what they got for Bay is the standard price for an established major leaguer, no matter how mediocre he is.

Maybe that was a typo. Sounds like a good deal for HACK Wilson.

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

crunch 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

The E-Man 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 2 hours 9 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 3 hours 55 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 10 hours 16 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 12 hours 11 min ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 21 hours 41 min ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

• Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

• Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

• Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.

• rain delay...thanks obama.