Lou Piniella's Last Thoughts on the Playoffs

I read the Sun-Times writeup on an interview with Lou Piniella in yesterday's paper and thought it was worthy of TCR discussion.

''The two things that I take from the postseason are that I didn't get a chance to pitch [Ted] Lilly, and he was such an integral part of us getting there.."

Here's my translation of Lou's comment #1:

1) The Ted Lilly Fan Club Super Computer predicted this.

2) Lou prefers Jason Marquis to Jake Peavy or Rich Harden because the latter two makes it tougher to pitch Ted Lilly in the playoffs.

3) You should have seen Z's reaction when (Lou) told him Dempster was pitching game one and Ted Lilly was pitching game two vs LA.

And Lou's comment #2: "And, two, we've just got to figure out a way to score more runs in the postseason."

...then Lou says: Raul Ibanez is the type of professional hitter "that we are alluding to".

Translation:

1) I'm batting Raul 4th.

2) Defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense.

3) Is there a Raul Ibanez Fan Club Computer I can check with?

Comments

Hey Lou, how about putting your own players in the best possible position to succeed? Like not pulling your ace when he's pitching well and selecting good matchups for your struggling "professional" left-handed hitting outfielder.

It seems to work for Bob Melvin and Joe Torre.

TLFC is just thankful for the fact that, in 2010 or 2011, we will have perfected our cloning machine which will allow the Cubs to trot out a starting five rotation of Ted Lillys.

Our 2008 Playoff Mantra, "Get the Ball to Ted" (GTBTT) will then become a distant memory and Cub faithful can bask in the glory of Lillyhammers five days a week.

Are you out of your dual core processor? If we trotted out a rotation like that, we would lose 30 games in april, then proceed to win 100 games on the season.

I haven't heard the Lillyhammer pun before, that was well done. Is it a TLFC creation?

That's as old as Chad's movie quotes.

And music tastes.

Eh, nevermind. Changed my mind. My comment was in poor taste.

Here's looking at you, kid.

so much for old movie quotes...

Bluto: See if you can guess what I am now.
[puts cottage cheese ball in his mouth and hits his cheeks with his fists]

you're a junkie with a zit!

lol...drugs.

Cubster is a P I G pig!

Everyone knows there is no such a thing as a sanity clause.

from Rotoworld

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have backed off their pursuit of Jack Wilson after the Pirates asked for Chin-Lung Hu, Delwyn Young and a third player in return."

good luck with that Pirates...

Yeah I saw that, couldn't figure out what they were thinking. Maybe they are thinking what they got for Bay is the standard price for an established major leaguer, no matter how mediocre he is.

Maybe that was a typo. Sounds like a good deal for HACK Wilson.

• Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.

Gleyber also in the picture at second.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • jacos 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • Co-sign

Ryno 1 hour 24 min ago view
  • Transmission 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • O&B: I think D. J. Wilson is a legit MLB prospect.

He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.

Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.

Arizona Phil 1 hour 45 min ago view
  • The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 7 hours 3 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

The E-Man 13 hours 38 sec ago view
  • And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 13 hours 59 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 14 hours 13 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950

• Great stuff CubbyBlue!!! I think it inspired today's six spot as well.

Eric S 15 hours 2 min ago view