Lou Piniella's Last Thoughts on the Playoffs

I read the Sun-Times writeup on an interview with Lou Piniella in yesterday's paper and thought it was worthy of TCR discussion.

''The two things that I take from the postseason are that I didn't get a chance to pitch [Ted] Lilly, and he was such an integral part of us getting there.."

Here's my translation of Lou's comment #1:

1) The Ted Lilly Fan Club Super Computer predicted this.

2) Lou prefers Jason Marquis to Jake Peavy or Rich Harden because the latter two makes it tougher to pitch Ted Lilly in the playoffs.

3) You should have seen Z's reaction when (Lou) told him Dempster was pitching game one and Ted Lilly was pitching game two vs LA.

And Lou's comment #2: "And, two, we've just got to figure out a way to score more runs in the postseason."

...then Lou says: Raul Ibanez is the type of professional hitter "that we are alluding to".

Translation:

1) I'm batting Raul 4th.

2) Defense? We don't need no stinkin' defense.

3) Is there a Raul Ibanez Fan Club Computer I can check with?

Comments

Hey Lou, how about putting your own players in the best possible position to succeed? Like not pulling your ace when he's pitching well and selecting good matchups for your struggling "professional" left-handed hitting outfielder.

It seems to work for Bob Melvin and Joe Torre.

TLFC is just thankful for the fact that, in 2010 or 2011, we will have perfected our cloning machine which will allow the Cubs to trot out a starting five rotation of Ted Lillys.

Our 2008 Playoff Mantra, "Get the Ball to Ted" (GTBTT) will then become a distant memory and Cub faithful can bask in the glory of Lillyhammers five days a week.

Are you out of your dual core processor? If we trotted out a rotation like that, we would lose 30 games in april, then proceed to win 100 games on the season.

I haven't heard the Lillyhammer pun before, that was well done. Is it a TLFC creation?

That's as old as Chad's movie quotes.

And music tastes.

Eh, nevermind. Changed my mind. My comment was in poor taste.

Here's looking at you, kid.

so much for old movie quotes...

Bluto: See if you can guess what I am now.
[puts cottage cheese ball in his mouth and hits his cheeks with his fists]

you're a junkie with a zit!

lol...drugs.

Cubster is a P I G pig!

Everyone knows there is no such a thing as a sanity clause.

from Rotoworld

"FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have backed off their pursuit of Jack Wilson after the Pirates asked for Chin-Lung Hu, Delwyn Young and a third player in return."

good luck with that Pirates...

Yeah I saw that, couldn't figure out what they were thinking. Maybe they are thinking what they got for Bay is the standard price for an established major leaguer, no matter how mediocre he is.

Maybe that was a typo. Sounds like a good deal for HACK Wilson.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

billybucks 12 min 38 sec ago view
  • LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 4 hours 20 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 12 hours 8 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 12 hours 16 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.