636 Reasons for Cub Fans to be Thankful in 2008

In a special, Thanksgiving edition of his Stat of the Week, John Dewan chronicles the Cubs' aversion to taking walks from 2003 through '07.

Here is how the Cubs hitters ranked among NL clubs in BB:

2003 14th of 16 teams
2004 14th of 16 teams
2005 16th of 16 teams
2006 16th of 16 teams
2007 15th of 16 teams

Last year  was a different story.

The Cubs led the NL with 636 walks--the league average was 551--and, as Dewan points out, "the Cubs increased their run production by over 100 runs...leading the 2008 NL in runs scored with 855."

Based on the individual player stats at FanGraphs, here is how the key figures in the Cub lineup aided the cause and how their willingness to walk in 2008 compared to 2007 and the rest of their careers:

Player  '08 BB%
'07 BB %
Career BB %
Jim Edmonds 13.9% 10.1% 12.8%
Mark DeRosa 12.0% 10.4%  8.7%
Aramis Ramirez 11.8% 7.8% 7.4%
Ryan Theriot 11.2% 8.4% 10.0%
Derrek Lee 10.2% 11.1% 11.3%
Alfonso Soriano 8.7% 5.1% 5.7%
Reed Johnson 5.4% 5.5% 5.4%

Geovany Soto  (just 79 career AB's before last year) and Kosuke Fukudome aren't listed because they had no MLB track record to compare to, but both wore their walking shoes last season: Soto walked 11.2% of the time (2nd among NL catchers) and Fukudome finished at 13.9%, a higher BB rate than all but three other regular NL outfielders, Adam Dunn (19.1%), Pat Burrell (16.0%), and Atlanta's Gregor Blanco (14.7%). As much as Fukudome appeared to be overmatched for much of the season, his patience at the plate, at least early in the year, seemed to set the stage for the Cubs' overall offensive approach in 2008.

Comments

some may not miss jim edmonds at all, but the guy's partial production would be a MVP-calibre season over a full year.

hope someone picks up the slack there...at least DLee has room for improvement in that area.

My guess is the A's, as they are trying to win the division next year, Peavy on the Angels doesnt help that. Also what SD needs OAK has a surplus of (pitching and outfielders).

It could be our AAAA affiliate in Pittsburgh. I hear that Jack Wilson has been seen on the mound shagging flyballs.

I have to think that whatever the deal, it wouldn't be a great one for the Cubs. Vitters is a lock to be in it and probably Pie, Marshall, or Castillo as well.

I'd love to have Jake Peavy, but I hope that after signing Dempster, acquiring him doesn't preclude us from getting a solid RFer. Adding Peavy and, say, Dunn or Ibanez to this team make it pretty stout, but are Jim and Lou on the same page?

I just can't accept all those numbers, Rob. Do you mean to say that THE MORE BASE RUNNERS WE HAVE, THE MORE RUNS WE SCORE?

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. That can't be right. Ok I'm gonna go look for witches to burn at the stake now.

10man,

The heresy was mine, not Rob's. But enjoy your witch-burning. : )

My apologies to you, Cubnut. We all know that Rob is the witch here. hehe

Don't forget Chad's foray into Gay Witchcraft!!

Apparently there have been some talks about the Cubs acquiring Peavy from San Diego.

I am thankful and give credit to Fukudome for showing the way in terms of patience at the plate. I honestly believe he influenced the team in that reguard. I hope the '09 Cubs follow that approach.
Please do not get Adam Dunn, I cannot bare to hear the laughter coming from Cincinnati. Let him go play football in Europe.
Is Ichiro available?

Oops I mean, "bear." Go bears.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 29 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 37 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 19 hours 36 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 19 hours 53 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

Charlie 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 1 hour ago view