636 Reasons for Cub Fans to be Thankful in 2008

In a special, Thanksgiving edition of his Stat of the Week, John Dewan chronicles the Cubs' aversion to taking walks from 2003 through '07.

Here is how the Cubs hitters ranked among NL clubs in BB:

2003 14th of 16 teams
2004 14th of 16 teams
2005 16th of 16 teams
2006 16th of 16 teams
2007 15th of 16 teams

Last year  was a different story.

The Cubs led the NL with 636 walks--the league average was 551--and, as Dewan points out, "the Cubs increased their run production by over 100 runs...leading the 2008 NL in runs scored with 855."

Based on the individual player stats at FanGraphs, here is how the key figures in the Cub lineup aided the cause and how their willingness to walk in 2008 compared to 2007 and the rest of their careers:

Player  '08 BB%
'07 BB %
Career BB %
Jim Edmonds 13.9% 10.1% 12.8%
Mark DeRosa 12.0% 10.4%  8.7%
Aramis Ramirez 11.8% 7.8% 7.4%
Ryan Theriot 11.2% 8.4% 10.0%
Derrek Lee 10.2% 11.1% 11.3%
Alfonso Soriano 8.7% 5.1% 5.7%
Reed Johnson 5.4% 5.5% 5.4%

Geovany Soto  (just 79 career AB's before last year) and Kosuke Fukudome aren't listed because they had no MLB track record to compare to, but both wore their walking shoes last season: Soto walked 11.2% of the time (2nd among NL catchers) and Fukudome finished at 13.9%, a higher BB rate than all but three other regular NL outfielders, Adam Dunn (19.1%), Pat Burrell (16.0%), and Atlanta's Gregor Blanco (14.7%). As much as Fukudome appeared to be overmatched for much of the season, his patience at the plate, at least early in the year, seemed to set the stage for the Cubs' overall offensive approach in 2008.

Comments

some may not miss jim edmonds at all, but the guy's partial production would be a MVP-calibre season over a full year.

hope someone picks up the slack there...at least DLee has room for improvement in that area.

My guess is the A's, as they are trying to win the division next year, Peavy on the Angels doesnt help that. Also what SD needs OAK has a surplus of (pitching and outfielders).

It could be our AAAA affiliate in Pittsburgh. I hear that Jack Wilson has been seen on the mound shagging flyballs.

I have to think that whatever the deal, it wouldn't be a great one for the Cubs. Vitters is a lock to be in it and probably Pie, Marshall, or Castillo as well.

I'd love to have Jake Peavy, but I hope that after signing Dempster, acquiring him doesn't preclude us from getting a solid RFer. Adding Peavy and, say, Dunn or Ibanez to this team make it pretty stout, but are Jim and Lou on the same page?

I just can't accept all those numbers, Rob. Do you mean to say that THE MORE BASE RUNNERS WE HAVE, THE MORE RUNS WE SCORE?

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. That can't be right. Ok I'm gonna go look for witches to burn at the stake now.

10man,

The heresy was mine, not Rob's. But enjoy your witch-burning. : )

My apologies to you, Cubnut. We all know that Rob is the witch here. hehe

Don't forget Chad's foray into Gay Witchcraft!!

Apparently there have been some talks about the Cubs acquiring Peavy from San Diego.

I am thankful and give credit to Fukudome for showing the way in terms of patience at the plate. I honestly believe he influenced the team in that reguard. I hope the '09 Cubs follow that approach.
Please do not get Adam Dunn, I cannot bare to hear the laughter coming from Cincinnati. Let him go play football in Europe.
Is Ichiro available?

Oops I mean, "bear." Go bears.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 3 min 26 sec ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 30 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 56 min 56 sec ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 2 hours 25 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 3 hours 59 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 5 hours 39 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 41 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 5 hours 43 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 5 hours 45 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 5 hours 53 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 55 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 6 hours 16 min ago view
  • Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).