The Best of TCR: The Hendry Chronicles
Everthing Arizona Phil writes in the comment section is worthy of a Best of TCR article. But this Best of TCR writeup is to show that I can find a post when news is particularly thin (beyond those gimme's from our TCR guru in the desert). Thanksgiving weekend is usually a desert of baseball news unto itself. Thus to brighten our tumbleweed desolate weekend, my long time friend, The E-Man steps up with a summary of Bruce Levine's ESPN AM-1000 saturday morning "Talking Baseball" weekly radio show. Enjoy (except for the part where he says that my season tickets will be more expensive). Take it away E-Man:
Just heard Hendry on WMVP this AM with Bruce Levine.
Jimbo came on the show...
- no slam dunk with Marmol as closer. He is not "set to close", but it is Lou's decision. They (Marmol/Gregg) may share duties. One may close more in the beginning of the year than the other.
- It did not appear that Hendry was giving any cards away re signing Woody. Reiterated that he wanted to give Wood a shot at a "nice 2 or 3-year deal".
- Thinks the world of K. Towers. They are still discussing things.
- The Cubs braintrust has had "every possible combination of LH hitting FA's and and SH's on a big board for the last two months..." they are going to do something it appears.
- B. Levine's money is on them "rolling the dice" (exact quote) on Milton Bradley. To put Ibanez in the OF with Soriano and Johnson/Pie/Dome, would just make it a shittier OF defensively. Just doesn't think they'll do it.
- Cubs are truly the "leading" trading partner in the Peavy sweepstakes. JH is awaiting the owner to be named in order to get a go-ahead (or decline, if its the Canning group) on taking on $60MM contract of the former cy Young winner.
- Levine's "two cents" is that IF the Brew can't sign Sheets or CC, or another big time pitcher, he thinks that the Reds - with a healthy Harang, could be the Cubs top competition in 2009. They have perhaps the best LH hitting "in baseball."
- He also believes he has heard that ticket prices may go UP for Terrace and Club Boxes (hear THAT Cubster), but the rest of the park will remain the same.
From the Windy City, I'm "The E-Man"
R Soriano now released by Cubs after prior DFA.
@BruceMiles2112: #Cubs Saturday: Fowler CF, Jackson RF, Bryant LF, Rizzo 1B, Baez 3B, Castro 2B, Ross C, Arrieta P, Russell SS
You are so right. He, Rosenbloom, and you can't forget Rick Bayless' brother.
What a bunch of negative boob journalists. As "columnists" their job is to write their opinions.
But, I stopped listening and reading their trash long ago.
Awesome. If WAS went 22-6 the rest of the way, AND somehow managed to not pass the Mets doing it, the Cubs only need to go 16-13 to get the 2nd Wild Card.
And on the 6th day, He pitches again.
Who else would be appropriate to pitch the day after Godly?
Oh my Lord, Bernie Lincicome is back? He was sport print journalism's first real troll that I remember, long before Rosenbloom started wasting space with his columns.
The more I read about Arrieta, the more I suspect he is not going to be satisfied with a no hitter unless it is followed by another.
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.