Cubs 2009 Schedule

It's available at cubs.com, and the Cubs will open the season on the road at Houston on April 6th and open up Miller Park that Friday. They start the home season on Monday, April 13th versus the Colorado Rockies.

June looks pretty tough, with just one nine-game homestand and 17 on the road. They'll play their interleague schedule that month versus the AL Central, including home games versus the Twins, White Sox and Indians and then three on the road versus both Detroit and the White Sox. For the first time that I can recall, they play a series versus the White Sox in the middle of the week, although the second match-up at Comiskey (still Comiskey to me) is on the weekend.

They make up those home games in July with 16 at home and nine on the road. They finish the season with six at home versus Pittsburgh and Arizona. That will be right after a 10-game road trip to St. Louis, Milwaukee and San Francisco. They also travel to San Diego twice next season, April and August.

Comments

I'm pretty sure the schedule has been up at Cubs.com since October. MLB actually released everyones at the same time, instead of having them trickle out via each team over a couple of months.

And there are still two WSox series. They play at Wrigley mid-week (June 16-18) and then at the Cell the following weekend (Jun 26-28)

thanks for the Wsox catch...fixed.

if it was posted earlier, I missed every single one of those stories and comments.

Its a balanced schedule. Not one month that pops out as too brutal or too easy. Why you really cant settle it in stone until the off-season is over. It looks like May is the easiest. Even in June are road games are the Braves (I think they will be around a .500 team) Reds ( I think they will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough) Houston (It looks like they want to shed payroll so they could be one of the worse teams, if they suffer a bad injury), Tigers (I think they will bounce back and win the AL Central) Wsox (see Houston).

Reds- "will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough"

I believe for the third year running. So it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

If they get Harang and Bailey going I could see them being competitive, but that offense looks pretty weak without Dunn and Griffey.

Supposedly the Reds traded Bailey to the WSox for Jermaine Dye. I thought Bailey was a big time prospect and Jermaine Dye was an old outfielder, but what do I know?

yesterday's news cycle and already debunked by Jocketty who said he hasn't talked to the White Sox since Thanksgiving.

Hal McCoy got the story wrong...

They were discussing trading Dye for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream

Shorty Rosenthal now says Phillies might be the 3rd team in the Peavy thang...

• jacos 9 min 14 sec ago view
  • Happ was the #9 pick last year, and he moved from OF to 2B in the same offseason that Castro was traded.

Gleyber also in the picture at second.

VirginiaPhil 3 hours 37 min ago view
  • jacos 3 hours 57 min ago view
  • Co-sign

Ryno 3 hours 57 min ago view
  • Transmission 4 hours 7 min ago view
  • O&B: I think D. J. Wilson is a legit MLB prospect.

He is a hyperactive dynamo on the field, a protypical lead-off hitter who is looking to get on base any way he can, a triple machine (if there is such a thing) when he does make solid contact, a daring baserunner who goes berserk once he is on base, and a CF who plays a "no fear" crash & burn style of defense.

Guys like that sometimes get injured more-often than the average player, but if he can stay healthy and continue to progress, I believe he will be an MLB CF, or at worst a 4th OF.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 18 min ago view
  • The hot start was nice, but it won't always come easy. It's nice to see them have to work for it every once in a while.

Ryno 6 hours 25 min ago view
  • Hey, AZ, are you as high on DJ Wilson as your pal John Arguello is?

• Phil, I just wanted to say thank you for diligently tracking the Cubs prospects in extended spring training and sharing your knowledge with us. It's remarkable how you're able to keep box scores for multiple games at once. I, and I'm sure others here, appreciate the data and insight you provide for us.

K Dub 9 hours 36 min ago view
  • Thanks PHIL.

Boy, that is a nifty K:BB ratio Hudson has going at almost 4:1!

I hope he continues improving.

• And of course the Bucs won again playing AZ (not PHIL). They dont seem to have a problem yet with the bottom feeders.

They picked up 3 games this last week.

I'm looking forward to them coming to the Chi.

• Don't mess with the SI jinx. Since the Javy/Cubs cover came out, he is 2-for-20 with no walks.

• BRADSBEARD: If all three are assigned to Eugene, the Cubs can play Galindo, Paredes, and Paniagua at the same time by moving Paredes between SS-3B-DH, Galindo between 3B-1B-DH, and Paniagua between 1B-LF-DH.

The Cubs like to have their players (including their minor leaguers) learn to play more than one position even if they eventually are projected to settle at one spot, and I suspect that will be reflected at Eugene, with just about everybody who will be assigned there able to play at least two positions.

Arizona Phil 16 hours 33 min ago view
  • Thanks - at least the scorer was consistent

Eric S 16 hours 47 min ago view
  • I don't think the error call was completely out of the blue but the ball took a very bad hop and would have taken a very good play to get it. Same with one of the Stella throws where I think it could have easily been ruled a hit. Neither were cut and dry calls though imo.

• chased a high fastball...

I think his BABIP during his run has been around .950