Hendry on XM Radio
Jim Hendry was on XM radio with Rob Dibble and his co-host...Stern something or other. The completely uninteresting highlights:
- trading DeRosa was the toughest trade he ever made
- too right-handed
- Fontenot and Miles at second base
- No talks at all with Baltimore for "the player" (Brian Roberts)
- couple of deals expected over the next few weeks, in 7-10 days they expect to add a left-handed hitting outfielder
- seems content with the bullpen, Lou and Rothschild will figure out the closer between Gregg and Marmol in spring training
- not going to the hockey game, currently visitng his brother in Louisiana
- Soriano's just streaky, not worried about his playoff performance or wilting under the pressure
- Sale completed within next month he hears
- Payroll is set until new owner is named, had to move money to add money
- humorous bit about not caring what the Yankees spend and he's spent plenty on his part and if he didn't, he probably would have been fired by now.
No mention of the Jason Marquis trade, but you have to assume it's one of those deals expected over the next few weeks.
On another note, this Stern fella sounds like a bigger idiot than Rob Dibble, which I didn't think was possible. He keeps harping about Brian Roberts and just called Mike Fontenot a "punch and judy" hitter.
Dr. Hecht's simulcast after the jump...
Hendry: plans on picking up another LH outfielder
sings DeRosa's praises for versatility, good person, etc.
but move (implying adding Miles?) was to get more left handed and DeRosa was RH.
Stern asks about Brian Roberts to play 2B.
Hendry: No talks with Baltimore at all this offseason. Andy's not
interested in dealing him. Cubs will go with Fontenot and Miles at 2B.
Hendry: expect a couple of deals in the next 7-10 days including an OF bat.
Stern: how about the bullpen?
Hendry: Even without Woody, Marmol and Greg can both close. Also mentions Shark, Guzman, Cotts
...says Stevens may help in the pen.
Stern: Any concerns about Soriano struggles in the postseason?
Hendry: He's a streaky guy, a 270-280 hitter, not the model of
consistency but he had 3 bad games in the playoffs but played well in
the 2nd half last year.
Dibble: what about the economy?
Hendry: our ownership situation is unique. What we have/haven't done
this winter is more affected by the ownership sale rather than the
Stern: Yankee's exorbitant spending, Salary Cap? Where do you stand?
Hendry: I've spent alot of money in the last few years. I've no
animosity toward the Yankee spending. I try not to be critical of
others. Every GM would like more money on the payroll.
Dibble: where are you? It sounds like you are hunting?
Hendry: I'm in my brother's neighborhood, play a little golf here but I'm not carrying a gun.
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
rain delay...thanks obama.