Baseball America Top 10 Cubs Prospects and Mark Prior News
The BA Top 10 came out yesterday...and surprise! Josh Vitters is #1.
- Josh Vitters
- Jeff Samardzija
- Andrew Cashner
- Dae-Eun Rhee
- Welington Castillo
- Kevin Hart
- Starlin Castro
- Ryan Flaherty
- Jay Jackson
- Hak-Ju Lee
- Mark Prior re-signs with the Padres on a minor league deal.This is the year!!!
- The Marlins are my new second favorite team.
- Jae-kuk Ryu is DFA'd by the Rays (insert obligatory bird-killing joke).
- Harry Caray #18, Jack Brickhouse #13 on the top 50 all-time sportscasters. Unfortunately, Joe Buck #31, Milo Hamilton #32, and Bill Walton at #39 make the list useless.
- The uniform patch budget must have been cut due to the Madoff scandal for the Mets (thanks to Cubnut for the link)
- Dempster still thinking about pitching for Team Canada in the WBC, the Cubs will do the thinking for Rich Harden.
- Another surprise...the Friday deadline to submit final bids for the Cubs wasn't so final.
Schwarber stays back and hammers a 3-2 change-up that was down and away. Very impressive.
And a good job to drive the ball to RF to advance the runner in the 8th. Encouraging.
<p>It looks like the Cubs "post-season clinch number" is 25 right now: http://lyle.smu.edu/~olinick/riot/national_league.html</p> <p> </p>
Is the magic number 25 or 26?
Agreed, to my untrained eyes he does look better than last season. Not a finished product yet and hopefully he will continue to improve, but if he plays solid middle infield defense he will stick in the majors.
Phillips smiled at Strop and gave him a thumbs up.
That pitch Schwarber hit is the kind he's been missing a lot of lately. When Schwarber struggles it reminds me of how hard it is to hit baseballs at that level. It doesn't seem like they've found a weakness, just that he isn't seeing the ball that great and just missing. Same with Rizzo the last few days. Regardless of what the other fellas said in the thread earlier, I was pretty encouraged with Baez. The violent swing seems to be much more under control, and he took more bad pitches than he swung at.
I missed it. What did he do?
<p>JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it https://youtu.be/2sSofokAIiw
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.