Updated Cubs Rosters
With the Cubs most-recent roster cuts, there have been an accompanying series of roster moves at Minor League Camp at Fitch Park:
Among the more noteworthy are:
1. Cubs 2007 1st round pick Josh Vitters lost the battle for the 3B job at Peoria to Jovan Rosa (2006 22nd round draft pick signed as a DNF for 5th round money last May), and has been assigned to Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training group). Most likely path for Vitters in 2008 will be EXST (Fitch Park) in April-May, then he'll go to Boise (Northwest League) in June-July-August, and then he'll return to Fitch Park for the AZ Instructional League in Sept-Oct.
2. With the arrival of Casey McGehee at AAA Iowa, there were a series of demotions involving third-basemen, as Kyle Reynolds was demoted from Iowa to AA Tennessee, Josh Lansford was demoted from Tennessee to Daytona, and Marquez Smith was demoted from Daytona to Peoria and was moved from 3B to 2B (although he will play some 3B, too). Also SS Joe Simokaitis has been demoted from Iowa to Tennessee, and infielders Carlos Rojas and Issmael Salas were promoted to Iowa from Tennessee (although one or both could get released or demoted back to AA before Opening Day).
3. Dylan Johnston was demoted from Daytona to Peoria and has been moved from SS to LF. This move appears permanent and is similar to what the Cubs did with Luis Montanez a few years ago, when his defensive (throwing) problems at SS got into his head at the plate. By moving Johnston to LF, the Cubs are apparently trying to let him get a clear mind to where he can concentrate on his hitting.
4. As far as the catchers are concerned, with Koyie Hill coming down from big league camp to the Iowa group, Alan Rick was released, defensive whiz Jake Muyco was demoted from Iowa to Tennessee (where he will apparently be the back-up to Chris Robinson), hotshot prospect Welington Castillo and converted INFSteve Clevenger have been demoted to Daytona from Tennessee, Mario Mercedes and Blake Lalli have been demoted to Peoria from Daytona, and Carlos Perez and Cuban defector Roberto Sabates (ex-Industriales) have been assigned to Boise/Mesa (EXST) from Peoria.
5. Among the young pitching prospects, LHP Edward Campusano and RHP Justin Berg have been demoted from AAA Iowa to AA Tennessee, RHPs Jose Ceda, Esmailin Caridad, Alessandro Maestri, and Marcos Mateo (Juan's cousin), and LHPs Casey Lambert and Jermemy Papelbon have been demoted to Daytona from AA Tennessee, and RHPs Robert Hernandez and Alberto Alburquerque have been demoted to Peoria from Daytona.
6. Among the outfielders, Matt Camp has been demoted from AAA Iowa to AA Tennessee, Yusuf Carter has disappeared (probably either quit after he got demoted to Daytona or else he got released), Jonathan Wyatt and James Adduci have been demoted from AA Tennessee to Daytona, Kyler Burke and Leon Johnson have been demoted from Daytona to Peoria, and Drew Rundle has been demoted from Peoria to Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training). And 2B-OF Jeffrey Rea has disappeared from the Peoria group and was replaced by 2B-CF Jose Made (promoted to Peoria from Boise/Mesa).
So here are the most up-to-date latest Cubs Major League and Minor League rosters
CUBS SPRING TRAINING ROSTER - MAJOR LEAGUE CAMP
* bats or throws left
# bats both
31 players (includes two NRI)
16 pitchers (includes one NRI)
8 infielders (includes one NRI)
ROSTERED PITCHERS (15):
* Scott Eyre (likely will go on 15-day DL)
* Rich Hill
Tim Lahey (Cubs will likely try to get Lahey through waivers and if they can he'll probably be PTBNL in Craig Monroe deal with MIN)
* Ted Lilly
* Sean Marshall (either Marshall or Pignatiello will get optioned to Iowa)
* Carmen Pignatiello (either Tiggy or Marshall will get optioned to Iowa)
NON-ROSTER PITCHER (1)
Chad Fox (likely will get released)
ROSTERED CATCHERS (2):
Geovany Soto (out of minor league options)
ROSTERED INFIELDERS (7):
Ronny Cedeno (out of minor league options)
* Mike Fontenot (probably will be optioned to Iowa)
* Daryle Ward
NON-ROSTER INFIELDER (1)
# Alex Cintron (probably was promised his release if he doesn't make Cubs Opening Day 25-man roster)
ROSTERED OUTFIELDERS (5):
* Kosuke Fukudome
* Felix Pie
DISABLED LIST (1)
Angel Guzman (60-day - TJ surgery rehab)
OPTIONAL ASSIGNMENT (10):
Jose Ascanio, RHP
* Neal Cotts, LHP
Jake Fox, OF
* Sam Fuld, OF
Sean Gallagher, RHP
Juan Mateo, RHP
* Eric Patterson, OF-2B
Billy Petrick, RHP
Adam Harben, RHP
Jeff Samardzija, RHP
MINOR LEAGUE CAMP ROSTERS
* Bats or throws left
# Bats both
* Neal Cotts
* Derrick Ellison
Jim Henderson (limited physical activity - unknown-type injury)
* Geoff Jones
* J. R. Mathes
* Ryan O’Malley
* Les Walrond
* Edward Campusano
Michael Cooper (limited physical activity – injury rehab torn rotator cuff surgery)
* Darin Downs
* Jayson Ruhlman
* Chris Shaver
* Donald Veal
* Arik Hempy
* Casey Lambert
* Jeremy Papelbon
* James Russell
* Chris Siegfried
* Zach Ashwood
* Mark Pawelek
* Dustin Sasser
BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING):
* Jeffry Antigua
* Luis Astorga
Rafael Dolis (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
Kitt Kopach (limited physical activity – shoulder injury rehab)
Oswaldo Martinez (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
Jon Mueller (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
Jose Pina (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
Carlos E. Rojas
Larry Suarez (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
Scott Taylor (serving 50-game illegal substance suspension)
# J. D. Closser
# Koyie Hill
* Steve Clevenger (C-1B)
* Mark Reed
* Blake Lalli (C-1B)
BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING)
* Alvaro Sosa
# Andres Blanco (SS)
# Matt Craig (1B)
# Luis Figueroa (2B-SS-3B)
* Micah Hoffpauir (1B)
Casey McGehee (3B-1B-C)
Carlos Rojas (SS-2B)
# Bobby Scales (2B-3B-OF)
Issmael Salas (3B)
Robinson Chirinos (2B-SS)
Brian Dopirak (1B)
# Matt Matulia (SS-2B)
* Kyle Reynolds (3B)
Joe Simokaitis (SS)
* Nate Spears (2B)
Darwin Barney (SS)
Russ Canzler (1B)
Josh Lansford (3B)
* Ryne Malone (2B-3B)
Jonathan Mota (2B-SS)
Tony Thomas (2B)
Luis Bautista (1B)
# Marwin Gonzalez (SS)
# Jose Made (2B-CF)
Jovan Rosa (3B)
Nathan Samson (2B-SS)
Marquez Smith (2B-3B)
BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING):
Starlin Castro (SS)
John Contreras (3B)
Gian Guzman (SS)
# Dwayne Kemp (2B)
* Bryan Jost (1B - limited physical activity - knee surgery rehab)
Junior Lake (SS)
Elvis Lara (2B)
* Drew Rundle (1B)
Josh Vitters (3B)
* Sam Fuld
* Josh Kroeger
* Eric Patterson
# Andres Torres
* Matt Camp
* Corey Coles
* Tyler Colvin
* James Adduci
* Jeff Culpepper (limited physical activity – knee injury rehab)
* Jonathan Wyatt
* Cliff Andersen
* Kyler Burke
Brandon Guyer (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
* Leon Johnson
* Dylan Johnston (ex-SS)
BOISE/MESA (EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING):
# Andres Quezada
* Nelson Perez
* Luke Sommer
Jesus Reyes (limited physical activity – injury rehab)
WHEREBOUTS UNKNOWN (to me):
* Michael Bunton, P (was with PEORIA group)
Yusuf Carter, OF (was with TENNESSEE group)
Hung-Wen Chen, P (did not report - might still be in Taiwan)
Rafael Cova, P (did not report)
* Clark Hardman, OF (was with PEORIA group)
John Muller, P (was with PEORIA group)
* Jeffrey Rea, 2B (was with PEORIA group)
* Marc Sawyer, 1B (did not report - could be finishing senior year at Yale)
Chi-Hsiang Wen, OF (did not report - might still be in Taiwan)
NOTE: Bunton, Carter, Hardman, Rea, and Muller have turned up MIA in just the last couple of days. Most-likely reason for a player's sudden disappearance this time of year are:
1. Player got released.
2. Player got discouraged with lack of progress and quit.
3. Player suffered an injury of such severity that participation in even limited activity on the field is not possible.
New York Mets @Mets
Dee Gordon lead-off home run. #AintEvenMad #BiggerThanBaseball 1-0 Miami.
7:25 PM - 26 Sep 2016
Amazing effort by Gordon -- truly remarkable.
Cubs get 100, KB gets 100, Hendricks gets below 2.00, Cards get absolutely destroyed by the Reds -- all good, other than some Rondon concern. Hopefully, he can get a few outings in this week and find his groove. Also, I guess Soler is still struggling with his right side. Hmmmm. Too bad Joe didn't let Addy bat with the bases loaded in the 7th -- great RBI opportunity.
I assume all the relievers are on a set schedule this week, but it seems strange Chapman pitched back-to-back.
Barry Rozner article interviewing Greg Maddux (with comments on Kyle Hendricks).
"I like watching him pitch," Maddux said of Hendricks. "I like guys that rely on movement and location. I can relate to him. That's what I had to do. "I'd rather watch him pitch than some lefty throwing 95 mph."
cubs win #100. neat.
Chapman in to stop the bleeding.
they're falling apart late in WAS...damn.
Wilson Ramos may be hurt badly. Carried off the field. Looks like the knee.
Hendricks 6 shutout innings, ends night with an ERA of 1.99
in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Twins are hiring Indians 32-year old Derick Falvey from the Cleveland Native Americans organization.
Suppose McLeod could still be asked by another organization but likely staying put.
Well put, both your remark, and Crunch's.
I saw the Gordon HR. It was like a funeral where the mourners were made to play baseball. So sad...
i wanted to watch more of it, but it started to feel like i was going beyond witnessing a human experience that isn't often seen into an uncomfortable voyeurism. these guys are in pain.
wow I am glad I missed the start of the MIA game. I would have been sobbing.
baez grand slam!