Rich Hill Deal Completed

As expected, the deal to move Rich Hill to the Baltimore Orioles has gone down for the very important player to be named later. Let's hope it's another Kevin Hart. The report is coming out of ESPN1000 and the Cubs version of Ken Rosenthal...Bruce Levine.

Comments

Has nothing to do with this post, but since there have been numerous discussions lately about the Cubs farm system and draft history, I thought you might all be interested in this article at Hardball Times:

It's an analysis of the general productivity of position players vs. pitchers in the earliest rounds of the draft--and it concludes that drafting position players early makes the most sense according to the numbers. Bobby Brownlie and Mark Pawelek concur. Tyler Colvin isn't sure yet.

Bye Rich Hill...had one decent season anyway...

I have to believe the point of this trade is for past or future favors. Hill wasn't sharp last year, but he could very well pitch major league ball this year and what we'll get in return will likely be a dime-a-dozen low-level prospect at best.

pie..hill..cedeno...bye

140m payroll with little expectations from the minors beyond SP/RP...hello.

welcome to boston.

Dustin Pedroia says hi

i can see hanley ramirez from my house.

21ip 23h 23bb 16K 7wp

what a winter...bye hill.

Why not keep Hill into spring training? He certainly couldn't do any worse and if he does well, we could get more or even keep him. It is being reported that we will only get a low level prospect. I don't understand this move at this time. Also, why are we helping McPhail when he screwed us around all last off season over Roberts? I understand that Hill's pitching coach is with Baltimore, but all the more reason why we should have gotten more than a presumed low level prospect. I know it is for a player to be named later, but I think the parameters for the player are not that great.

hill's value is probably toileted in reality.

there's not much to build on after a horrible minor league send-down followed by an inexcusably bad winter.

the chances of his value rising when ST rolls around and lou/etc. have to find work for everyone is pretty low...especially since hendry/lou/etc. seem to want Samninja starting some games this spring.

Wasn't it Angelos who refused to part with Roberts?

I remember Angelos killing the deal...you are correct.

If people are really going to question losing Hill for a low level prospect, I propose this questions...Do you really not think his curve ball and mediocre fast ball are replaceable?

Good luck Rich. If you come back, that will be a great story...but I sure don't want to sit around watching you walk every mediocre batter when we play Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

i think what killed the deal was the Cubs not wanting to include Felix Pie along with 3 or 4 other prospects (including Sean Gallagher). All the reports out of Baltimore were that the deal never got to Angelos.

hill has a very low chance of ever regaining his form. And even then, didn't he only have like 2 pitches? He's completely screwed up in the head now. Can't hit water if he fell out of a f'ing boat.

And helping McPhail? Seriously? All I've gotta say is that I'd be super pissed if I were an Orioles fan. My GM has a man crush on his shitty prospects he had back in the day that all flopped with the Cubs. If I were the owner I'd be writing McPhail an email.. Dear McPhail, you are hereby banned from calling Jim Hendry without written permission.

new post up, Wuertz traded to A's

Agreed TJ...exactly what i was saying last few days. If we got the perverbial PTBNL wouldn't it be more of an upside to find out if he sucks in spring training and get the PTBNL later...it's going to be bad news if he turns it around in spring training and Harden gets hurt oh wait he is..or Dempster becomes a pumpkin again!

Good luck to Hill, IMO he wasn't worth a spot on the 40 man given his poor performances in 2008 (demoted all the way to rookie ball) and terrible winter ball results (pelted with trash in Latin America.) I wouldn't put him on a par with Sudden Sam McDowell in terms of potential but it sure would be a sad thing to waste if it turns out that way.

• vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 10 hours 22 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 11 hours 11 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 38 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 13 hours 49 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 13 hours 52 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 56 min ago view
  • Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"

He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.

Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.

chitownmvp01 14 hours 4 min ago view
  • Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.

Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.

• Arizona Phil 17 hours 27 min ago view