Around the Web...
- The Cubs purchased the contract of catcher Shawn McGill from the Lincoln Saltdogs of the (cutting and pasting) American Association of Independent Professional Baseball. McGill will be at spring training as one of the extra catchers around to help with all the extra pitchers around.
- Cubs.com with an article on some of the Korean players the Cubs have signed.
- Cubs special assistant Gary Hughes inducted into the Professional Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame.
- Don't mess with Edinson Volquez.
- Ken Rosenthal doesn't believe the new owner in San Diego will change the Jake Peavy situation too much.
- Aramis Ramirez is going to sit out of the WBC because he doesn't want to back-up A-Fraud.
- An interview with Cubs radio play-by-play man Pat Hughes at Chicago Cubs Online.
- A little site news, at the bottom of each story below the comment box you'll see the RSS icon , you can now subscribe to comments to an individual post. You can also add this link to your favorite RSS reader for site-wide comments. They only show up in flat view, so no threaded comments and it doesn't seem to update too frequently in my Google Reader so far, but it's available.
Also, we have a Twitter page too thanks to Cubnut (there's a widget on the sidebar as well) and we've had a Facebook page apparently since last year thanks to Ruz. Anyone know of a Twitter widget that will display all the feeds of the people you're following?
Fair enough, but Castro isn't really very good.
I can just hear Pat Hughes chortling "typical Cubs-Cards game..."
As long as Maddon uses him against RH he is good. Against LH - not so much.
His recent HR's obviously have not been great pitches.
So, let's just say my personal confidence in the guy is not there yet.
not that I'm agreeing with E-Man in anyway here, but Warren's FIP and peripherals are not really good (5.20 FIP/5.19 BB/9/.128 BABIP), although his actual results are a lot better. Well until today...
Trade was also to make room for Zobrist and it'll be a few years before we can really judge it.
Eventually, the Maddon "play everyone everywhere" thing was going to create a problem.
This ump blows.
So much for pace-of-game.
Adam Warren who is 3-1 with a 2.08 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP, and Castro who is hitting 269/303/415?
That Molina with the arm out thing was ridiculous and blatant. Wonder if he can get fined for that
Looks like the Cubs got short end of the Castro Warren deal so far. He is atrocious. Even in games with huge leads he sucks ass.
Wonder what they saw in him? Maybe he is a better starter? Ugh!
Bucknor tried to turn a 4-pitch walk to LaStella into an interesting AB, but LaStella prevailed.
~shrug~ he's CB Bucknor, he's usually awful.
But today he called 2 pitches balls that really looked like strikes, one looked particularly obvious. Even Arrieta jawed at him and that's rare for Arrieta. He also didn't bother to ask anyone or notice Molina clearly reaching his arm out to get hit intentionally.
Lastella not having much of one either (diving stop notwithstanding but should have been unnecessary if he made earlier play).
What's wrong with his strike zone? Just inconsistent?
CB Bucknor not having a good day....
Jesse Rogers [email protected] Yeah, there was plenty of chatter before the game about home plate ump today. Knew he would be a factor.
Jake Arrieta gives up first inning run
For the first time in a year, 33 starts.