MLB Open Draft Part Deux

A few weeks back, we had our draft for the TCR MLB Open league. We had enough willing participants for a seconds league and their draft was Saturday. I wasn't in this league, but reader "big lowitzki" is and provided me with the draft results. A quick reminder of the rules first:

H2H weekly play

No trades

Set your lineups weekly

Point system (Single = 1, Double = 2, Triple = 3, Home Run = 4, Run = 1, RBI = 1, Walk = 1, Stolen Base = 2, Caught Stealing = -1 )

Draft entire Pitching Staff, not individual pitchers (basically Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP are counted)

That's the basics, so let's see how they drafted.

It's a twelve team league and here's the owners/teams that joined, by draft order (please correct me if I'm wrong on the usernames).

Hondurascubs - a reader from Honduras that goes by Salvador

Lawhide - same as his username and the guy who wrote this guest article
Out of Bubblegum - We'll call him Bill
Junkie Cosmonauts - We'll call him Dan
McRipper - goes by the same username

The Tarnished Reps - Real Neal

Ted Lilly Fan Club - TLFC or his super computer, we're not sure

Take it in da Pujols - "asecrest"

The Big Lowitzki - the commish who missed his own draft
Northbrook Cubs - We'll call him Bob

Terpopouli2 - goes by Terpopouli
Starfighters of aldamur - "Wedge2"

So let's see how they did (click on the image for a larger version).

Draftchart

Since Big Lowitzki missed the draft I don't have any comments to give you on the picks, except how in holy hell did Hanley Ramirez make it to the 12th pick? Those who were there are certainly welcome to justify their draft in the comments though.

Otherwise our seasons start this week and I'll give periodic updates on both leagues throughout the year.

Comments

Our draft was part us, part Super Computer. You can probably guess where the Super Computer took over. Small hint - The horror of "owning" Juan Pierre has done serious damage to our sleep schedule... though Howie Kendrick in the later rounds was savvy move.

Big Lowitzki has the worst defensive team in history.

I hate picking 12th, but it was indeed nice that Hanley fell to me. What I don't love is how my outfield ended up. Good luck to all.

From the preview:
There's one No. 1 and four No. 4s. After ace Carlos Zambrano, the rotation doesn't scare anyone.

Rich Hill and Ted Lilly are number 4s now? And apparently on the same level as Marquis and Dempster? Gee.

Those 90-92 win predictions are nice...I think they're an 87 win team this year unless some moves are made.

Scary that all three of their experts picked us to win 90+ games and win the central. But...

"• The 100-year drought ends this season. OK, that's not a fact. But a palm tree that flowers once a century recently bloomed in Madagascar."

I like the parallel.

My prediction holds for both leagues: The team that ended up Pat Burrell will win.

Rays looking for an outfielder

but they're offering Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel which don't help us much...

Just a couple of days to go and the Reds can't make decide who to cut. There's still 34 players on the roster (plus 2 on the DL) mostly because of Dusty's inability to shed moldy old veterans like Kent Mercker, Mike Stanton and Paul Bako.

Keeping NRI Bako would mean carrying three catchers, but then who's counting?

It gets worse. In true vintage Dusty style he's given LON-N-N-G looks and SERIOUS playing time (as in all 28 ST games) to Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera who, he describes, as having such great springs they both should make the team.

Great? Well, Phillips has hit .295 .308 (.253 .294 career) and Cabrera .306 .327 (.258 .305 career). With OBP like that, it's no wonder DB & Company are having a hard time cutting the roster down to 25.

Glad it's someone else's problem. It will be nice seeing KPatt out there.

Andy Phillips is hitting .277 .294 in ST.

yea... missing my own draft. i suck.

and in turn got the "pleasure" of taking Prince Fielder over Hanley Ramirez.

I also suck and missed my draft gaining the pleasure of taking Fat Elvis over Ryan Braun and Jose Reyes. Awesome!!!!!!!! But as previously posted I got Pat Burrell so therefore I win.

Assuming "Fat Elvis" means Berkman and it was a snake-style draft, you didn't miss out on Braun or Reyes.

Somehow I didn't get any emails before the draft, so I didn't get to participate, but Supercomputer did a decent job picking for me for the most part. Thanks, Supercomputer!

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 9 hours 23 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 9 hours 51 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 20 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 8 hours ago view