MLB Open Draft Part Deux

A few weeks back, we had our draft for the TCR MLB Open league. We had enough willing participants for a seconds league and their draft was Saturday. I wasn't in this league, but reader "big lowitzki" is and provided me with the draft results. A quick reminder of the rules first:

H2H weekly play

No trades

Set your lineups weekly

Point system (Single = 1, Double = 2, Triple = 3, Home Run = 4, Run = 1, RBI = 1, Walk = 1, Stolen Base = 2, Caught Stealing = -1 )

Draft entire Pitching Staff, not individual pitchers (basically Wins, K's, ERA and WHIP are counted)

That's the basics, so let's see how they drafted.

It's a twelve team league and here's the owners/teams that joined, by draft order (please correct me if I'm wrong on the usernames).

Hondurascubs - a reader from Honduras that goes by Salvador

Lawhide - same as his username and the guy who wrote this guest article
Out of Bubblegum - We'll call him Bill
Junkie Cosmonauts - We'll call him Dan
McRipper - goes by the same username

The Tarnished Reps - Real Neal

Ted Lilly Fan Club - TLFC or his super computer, we're not sure

Take it in da Pujols - "asecrest"

The Big Lowitzki - the commish who missed his own draft
Northbrook Cubs - We'll call him Bob

Terpopouli2 - goes by Terpopouli
Starfighters of aldamur - "Wedge2"

So let's see how they did (click on the image for a larger version).

Draftchart

Since Big Lowitzki missed the draft I don't have any comments to give you on the picks, except how in holy hell did Hanley Ramirez make it to the 12th pick? Those who were there are certainly welcome to justify their draft in the comments though.

Otherwise our seasons start this week and I'll give periodic updates on both leagues throughout the year.

Comments

Our draft was part us, part Super Computer. You can probably guess where the Super Computer took over. Small hint - The horror of "owning" Juan Pierre has done serious damage to our sleep schedule... though Howie Kendrick in the later rounds was savvy move.

Big Lowitzki has the worst defensive team in history.

I hate picking 12th, but it was indeed nice that Hanley fell to me. What I don't love is how my outfield ended up. Good luck to all.

From the preview:
There's one No. 1 and four No. 4s. After ace Carlos Zambrano, the rotation doesn't scare anyone.

Rich Hill and Ted Lilly are number 4s now? And apparently on the same level as Marquis and Dempster? Gee.

Those 90-92 win predictions are nice...I think they're an 87 win team this year unless some moves are made.

Scary that all three of their experts picked us to win 90+ games and win the central. But...

"• The 100-year drought ends this season. OK, that's not a fact. But a palm tree that flowers once a century recently bloomed in Madagascar."

I like the parallel.

My prediction holds for both leagues: The team that ended up Pat Burrell will win.

Rays looking for an outfielder

but they're offering Edwin Jackson or Jason Hammel which don't help us much...

Just a couple of days to go and the Reds can't make decide who to cut. There's still 34 players on the roster (plus 2 on the DL) mostly because of Dusty's inability to shed moldy old veterans like Kent Mercker, Mike Stanton and Paul Bako.

Keeping NRI Bako would mean carrying three catchers, but then who's counting?

It gets worse. In true vintage Dusty style he's given LON-N-N-G looks and SERIOUS playing time (as in all 28 ST games) to Andy Phillips and Jolbert Cabrera who, he describes, as having such great springs they both should make the team.

Great? Well, Phillips has hit .295 .308 (.253 .294 career) and Cabrera .306 .327 (.258 .305 career). With OBP like that, it's no wonder DB & Company are having a hard time cutting the roster down to 25.

Glad it's someone else's problem. It will be nice seeing KPatt out there.

Andy Phillips is hitting .277 .294 in ST.

yea... missing my own draft. i suck.

and in turn got the "pleasure" of taking Prince Fielder over Hanley Ramirez.

I also suck and missed my draft gaining the pleasure of taking Fat Elvis over Ryan Braun and Jose Reyes. Awesome!!!!!!!! But as previously posted I got Pat Burrell so therefore I win.

Assuming "Fat Elvis" means Berkman and it was a snake-style draft, you didn't miss out on Braun or Reyes.

Somehow I didn't get any emails before the draft, so I didn't get to participate, but Supercomputer did a decent job picking for me for the most part. Thanks, Supercomputer!

• "trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo."

that's from my 1st post. there's no suck involved in that. maybe with a few less posts about bullshit that point would have jumped out more.

crunch 26 min 21 sec ago view
  • crunch - you do know that, taking defense out of the equation, Trout has led the AL in wRC+ each of those years, right?

And, if you want to complain about position adjustment (which would be serious #crunchsplaining), he's been in the top 3 in the AL in WC (not park/league/position adjusted). And the only players ahead of him (if there were any players ahead of him) in any of those years have been DHs or 1B that play lousy defense.

But sure - Trout sucks (or at least isn't as good as WAR says). Because it factors in defense and position.

big_lowitzki 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • early tim tebow stuff rolling in...

ran a 6.7 60yd (above average)...shagging flies in RF and showed off a rather impressive arm a few times, but average-at best on most of his throws...hit a few over the fence (both fields), fouled or weak contact a few...he's got a touch of power

it'll be interesting to see who bites on this project, if anyone. he probably projected himself out of RF and into LF/1st because of his arm, but unless he can make that power work on a steady basis it'll be hard for him to play himself up anyone's system.

• LHP Clayton Richard (released by the Cubs earlier this month) is pitching very well as a starting pitcher for the San Diego Padres and could be a good candidate to get traded to a contender looking for a veteran SP before tomorrow night's post-season roster eligibility deadline.

Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).

Arizona Phil 4 hours 3 min ago view
  • it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.

plus, the kids deserve it.

• The AZL team with the best record over the course of the full 2016 AZL season and the only AZL team to play .600 ball (the AZL Dodgers) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, and the AZL East Division team with the best record over the course of the full season (the AZL Athletics) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, either.

That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 10 min ago view
  • Despite good movement on his fastball, I think location kept him from getting Ks. Left some pitches up and away that got hammered up and away. Then of course Travis Wood gave up the 2-run double in the 7th, but both runs counted against Arrieta.

• "i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date."

This level of discourse is #charming.

#baseballtalk

Tito 4 hours 47 min ago view
  • I would be having this discussion with anyone who (a) blathered on ad nauseum about the topic. (See, "Olt, Mike, not given an opportunity") or (b) responded directly to what I posted (which you did).

Have a nice day.

#baseballtalk

Tito 4 hours 50 min ago view
  • what would you do without me? aside from having your posting content here cut by 75%+?

i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date.

• In this instance, yes, I care more about the result of this big thing that isn't really a big thing.

#crunchsplaining

#willlistentojeffsullivanmorethanyou

#blessyourheart

#hitler

#tcrmartyr

#billyhamiltonwar

#baseballtalk

Tito 4 hours 54 min ago view
  • Two things:

Fangraphs WAR #s include baserunning and Hamilton is elite at that. He leads in SBs with the 54 and and has an 87% rate which is really good. I'm sure once he gets on base he's able to take the extra base quite often too. Both those things will up his overall WAR value.

The differences between BR and FG WAR is pretty well documented online and thus If there are discrepancies it's fairly easy to figure out why. It's fairly well accepted that BR WAR is fine as a snapshot but FG is better at predicting future value.

• i have no doubt at all you quit reading at that point. you're very enamored with outcomes without caring what it takes to get there.

the fact it's exploitable, especially without someone to cover the running game for him, as well it's evolution in how people are testing possible exploits is interesting to some people...to me...i'm some people...hurrah.

some people want to check the boxscore to see who won, some want to know how it went down.

• I read it as him saying it's not really that much of a concern and that the one time it really cost Lester, vs. K.C., was an anomaly.

#baseballtalk

Tito 5 hours 16 min ago view
  • if jeff says it, it's cool...when i say it, it's straight from the mouth of hitler.

aside from the lack of jeff touching on the insane leads runners take and lester's inability to throw if he's fielding, this is a lot of what i've said about the issue.

exploitable, needs his own personal catcher to control his shortcomings, relies on his ability to get outs along with his personal catcher keeping runners in check before things become further exploited...

• That would be Rice Krispy Treat