Happy Birthday, Z!

Carlos Zambrano turns 24 today. So here's a birthday wish to our favorite web-surfing, muttering, gesticulating, switch-hitting, complete game-throwing, goateed behemoth of a perpetual-Cy Young Award contender. We Love Ya, Z. For some birthday reminiscences, how about these.... Remember when we wondered who would be better, Zambrano or Cruz? Remember the first time we discovered Z was a switch-hitter? ember Z retiring Barry Bonds in an especially tense series in 2003, Z getting all excited, and Barry sulking about it? Here's a question: what should we get Z for his birthday? (photo from http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments)

Comments

(another p.s.: join my small-ball style fantasy rotisserie league at yahoo. league ID 352533 and password rodbeck)

(I'll stop shilling, now.)

Maybe we should send him a printout of all the posts of everyone bitching at him about him getting tossed from too many games....

How about some run support for his next start?

Remember last year when Z had a no-hitter through five, and led off the bottom of the fifth legging out a bunt single?

Happy B-Day Z.

''I'm a horse. They'd have to kill me [to miss a start]. I have to have my arm explode.'' -Z

i was at a game vs col where z homered to center, he went nuts rounding first, and preston wilson lost the ball in the sun, and put his arms upas it wne over his head

Similar Pitchers through Age 23
Ray Culp (983)
Andy Benes (968)
Dizzy Dean (967) *
Bill Gullickson (967)
Mickey Hughes (966)
Jim Maloney (966)
Bill Stafford (965)
Robin Roberts (965) *
Don Sutton (964) *
Dave Rozema (963)

A solid outing from the bullpen? A W? God, I love this guy.

The moment I remember from that series, T, was zambrano catching a soft liner back up the middle with two outs and the bases juiced. I was at that game, it's one of my favorite games I've seen (it's the only time I've seen the opposing left fielder heckled more than the cubs bullpen from my former employer's seats halfway down the third base line).

anyway, Z gave a fist pump after he caught it (it was a pure adrenaline play) and Barry barked some crap back at him. Bonds: 0-1, 2BB (1IBB).

Retrosheet:

I have an idea for a birthday present for Z:

A face picture of Jim Edmonds type to the catchers' chest protector.

Remember the triple that he hit last year? The one with the incredibly graceful dive into third?

I'll always laugh about that.

how bout a big bag of meat? Z is a f--king lion!

carlos zambrano is the man on this team. there are plenty of great players on the cubs squad this year, but for the next decade i believe this club will go as far as zambrano's arm takes them. he's that good, and that young.

god bless you carlos. god bless you.

I would get Z a nylon net for which would not chafe as much when Larry Rothschild has to ride his horse out to the mound to calm him down, and make the tranquilizer darts a little smaller too.

Zambrano is the man...keep wining el loco toro.

Z's best moment was that homer he hit against Wade Miller at Houston in 2003. It was the turning point of the season.

(I remember being pissed that Dusty let Z hit for himself, too.)

Oh wow, the slide he slid on that triple last year, LOL!

I recall Jon Miller (giants pbp guy) being very perturbed about zambrano's "festive demonstration!" after getting bonds on that line-out.

WAs it a lineu-out, and I'm mis-remembering it as a strike out, or were there two different instances? I'm pretty darn sure there was also a K.

That was also the series, if I recall, that one of our SPs plunked Barry.

But yeah, I remember Jon Miller being all upset. Now, of course, he celebrates Zambrano's zest.

Hey, there could be some endorsement opportunities there.... Proctor and Gamble need to think of a Zambrano's Zest line for their soap. That commercial would rule!

we should get him voice recognition software for his computer, so he doesnt have to type

Trans: Retrosheet says that's the only game Z pitched against SF that year, and that was his only AB (two BBs).

It's so comforting to know there are enterprising researchers out there to compensate for my porous memory. Thanks!

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 7 hours 39 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 7 hours 56 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 52 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 13 hours 54 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 18 hours 11 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.