Happy Birthday, Z!

Carlos Zambrano turns 24 today. So here's a birthday wish to our favorite web-surfing, muttering, gesticulating, switch-hitting, complete game-throwing, goateed behemoth of a perpetual-Cy Young Award contender. We Love Ya, Z. For some birthday reminiscences, how about these.... Remember when we wondered who would be better, Zambrano or Cruz? Remember the first time we discovered Z was a switch-hitter? ember Z retiring Barry Bonds in an especially tense series in 2003, Z getting all excited, and Barry sulking about it? Here's a question: what should we get Z for his birthday? (photo from http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_2nd_half_moments)

Comments

(another p.s.: join my small-ball style fantasy rotisserie league at yahoo. league ID 352533 and password rodbeck)

(I'll stop shilling, now.)

Maybe we should send him a printout of all the posts of everyone bitching at him about him getting tossed from too many games....

How about some run support for his next start?

Remember last year when Z had a no-hitter through five, and led off the bottom of the fifth legging out a bunt single?

Happy B-Day Z.

''I'm a horse. They'd have to kill me [to miss a start]. I have to have my arm explode.'' -Z

i was at a game vs col where z homered to center, he went nuts rounding first, and preston wilson lost the ball in the sun, and put his arms upas it wne over his head

Similar Pitchers through Age 23
Ray Culp (983)
Andy Benes (968)
Dizzy Dean (967) *
Bill Gullickson (967)
Mickey Hughes (966)
Jim Maloney (966)
Bill Stafford (965)
Robin Roberts (965) *
Don Sutton (964) *
Dave Rozema (963)

A solid outing from the bullpen? A W? God, I love this guy.

The moment I remember from that series, T, was zambrano catching a soft liner back up the middle with two outs and the bases juiced. I was at that game, it's one of my favorite games I've seen (it's the only time I've seen the opposing left fielder heckled more than the cubs bullpen from my former employer's seats halfway down the third base line).

anyway, Z gave a fist pump after he caught it (it was a pure adrenaline play) and Barry barked some crap back at him. Bonds: 0-1, 2BB (1IBB).

Retrosheet:

I have an idea for a birthday present for Z:

A face picture of Jim Edmonds type to the catchers' chest protector.

Remember the triple that he hit last year? The one with the incredibly graceful dive into third?

I'll always laugh about that.

how bout a big bag of meat? Z is a f--king lion!

carlos zambrano is the man on this team. there are plenty of great players on the cubs squad this year, but for the next decade i believe this club will go as far as zambrano's arm takes them. he's that good, and that young.

god bless you carlos. god bless you.

I would get Z a nylon net for which would not chafe as much when Larry Rothschild has to ride his horse out to the mound to calm him down, and make the tranquilizer darts a little smaller too.

Zambrano is the man...keep wining el loco toro.

Z's best moment was that homer he hit against Wade Miller at Houston in 2003. It was the turning point of the season.

(I remember being pissed that Dusty let Z hit for himself, too.)

Oh wow, the slide he slid on that triple last year, LOL!

I recall Jon Miller (giants pbp guy) being very perturbed about zambrano's "festive demonstration!" after getting bonds on that line-out.

WAs it a lineu-out, and I'm mis-remembering it as a strike out, or were there two different instances? I'm pretty darn sure there was also a K.

That was also the series, if I recall, that one of our SPs plunked Barry.

But yeah, I remember Jon Miller being all upset. Now, of course, he celebrates Zambrano's zest.

Hey, there could be some endorsement opportunities there.... Proctor and Gamble need to think of a Zambrano's Zest line for their soap. That commercial would rule!

we should get him voice recognition software for his computer, so he doesnt have to type

Trans: Retrosheet says that's the only game Z pitched against SF that year, and that was his only AB (two BBs).

It's so comforting to know there are enterprising researchers out there to compensate for my porous memory. Thanks!

• hendricks WHIP drops to 0.98 over 159 innings after throwing 7ip 3h 1bb 4k, 0r/er

ERA down to 2.09 on the season.

crazy good.

crunch 9 min 48 sec ago view
  • I am pretty well fed up with the majority of home plate umps. Just terrible inconsistencies.

The E-Man 12 min 52 sec ago view
  • Oh shit forgot about that
    Shark and Sczur right?

jacos 27 min 22 sec ago view
  • Yes, football player?- check.

The E-Man 34 min 38 sec ago view
  • jacos 48 min 12 sec ago view
  • If it was 2006 Hendry would be there w a Bible and a contract

jacos 3 hours 20 min ago view
  • he subscribes to my twitter, he's beyond TCR. #yolo #swag

• Whoops. Maddon must have been reading TCR (for his daily crunch) and got confused.

CTSteve 4 hours 1 min ago view
  • kuhl is a righty, not a lefty.

i think maddon might think kuhl is a lefty, too. i wonder what the reasoning is for baez leading off vs a rightie.

• "trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo."

that's from my 1st post. there's no suck involved in that. maybe with a few less posts about bullshit that point would have jumped out more.

• crunch - you do know that, taking defense out of the equation, Trout has led the AL in wRC+ each of those years, right?

And, if you want to complain about position adjustment (which would be serious #crunchsplaining), he's been in the top 3 in the AL in WC (not park/league/position adjusted). And the only players ahead of him (if there were any players ahead of him) in any of those years have been DHs or 1B that play lousy defense.

But sure - Trout sucks (or at least isn't as good as WAR says). Because it factors in defense and position.

big_lowitzki 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • early tim tebow stuff rolling in...

ran a 6.7 60yd (above average)...shagging flies in RF and showed off a rather impressive arm a few times, but average-at best on most of his throws...hit a few over the fence (both fields), fouled or weak contact a few...he's got a touch of power

it'll be interesting to see who bites on this project, if anyone. he probably projected himself out of RF and into LF/1st because of his arm, but unless he can make that power work on a steady basis it'll be hard for him to play himself up anyone's system.

• LHP Clayton Richard (released by the Cubs earlier this month) is pitching very well as a starting pitcher for the San Diego Padres and could be a good candidate to get traded to a contender looking for a veteran SP before tomorrow night's post-season roster eligibility deadline.

Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).

Arizona Phil 9 hours 6 min ago view
  • it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.

plus, the kids deserve it.

• The AZL team with the best record over the course of the full 2016 AZL season and the only AZL team to play .600 ball (the AZL Dodgers) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, and the AZL East Division team with the best record over the course of the full season (the AZL Athletics) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, either.

That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 13 min ago view
  • Despite good movement on his fastball, I think location kept him from getting Ks. Left some pitches up and away that got hammered up and away. Then of course Travis Wood gave up the 2-run double in the 7th, but both runs counted against Arrieta.