Can’t Win ‘Em All (But Try Anyway)

GAME 52 PREVIEW CHICAGO CUBS (28-25) at SAN DIEGO PADRES (34-21) PETCO Park, 9.05pm CT, TV: WGN, Chan4
SP *Darrell May SP Greg Maddux
Someone post the lineups in the comments!
able> Yesterday my computer's power supply unit ground to a halt. As did the Cubs' winning streak, which at seven games was their longest under Dusty Baker. I'm back up and running now though (with a brand new flat screen LCD monitor too, even if right now it's calibrated such that reds in particular are horrendously garish!). And it's the job of Greg Maddux to get this team back up and running tonight (in the final game of the first third of our season) before we watch these offences attempt the thankless task of scorings runs off Carlos Zambrano and Jake Peavy in a pitching haven of a ballpark tomorrow. Go Cubs!

Comments

Is it Peavy tomorrow? They were saying last night on the telecast that Peavy's been sick and that Woody Williams might be activated, skip a minor league re-hab assignment, and start against the Cubs. Of course, given the source I have my doubts but hopefully there's some truth to it.

By the way. In May's four starts he's gone 3.1, 4.1 and 5.0 innings twice. Sounds like a guy who would have shut down the Cubs for eight innings a few weeks ago. Let's hope today's Cubs show him no mercy.

hairston

nevin
sweeney
burroughs
greene
ojeda
may

wgn radio (memmolo and kozlowski) had the same info that peavey may still be too ill to pitch, and that woody williams would be activated. memmo/koz were saying this around 4 p.m. chicago time today.

The Peavy 50/50 comment wa sin the AP story about this.

Am I the only one here shocked to see Dubois in the lineup after Hollandsworthless's 3-3 day? Especially when Dubois struck out with the bases loaded?

Eric-
The starter is a LHP, so no it does not suprise me that Dubois is in there. he is teh everyday starter out in LF.

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

i'm sure the recent good fortune of the cubs has nothing to do with all the deep counts we're seeing. i mean, dubois walked TWICE tonight. good lord!

way to go .. doobie do bwah...

nice infield hit by barrett ...

hairy!

wow..just......wow. i love seeing us shellac a real team.

mmmm Pepsi

A Lime Green Hatchback!

For a month, Ronny Cedeno studied major-league batters while mostly riding the bench as an extra infielder for the Chicago Cubs. He watched everything from the seriousness with which they approached batting practice to their hitting approach during games.

"You can't believe how much I learned by just watching," said Cedeno, who stayed hot during the Iowa Cubs' 5-3 loss to Oklahoma before a crowd of 8,730 Thursday afternoon at Principal Park.

Cedeno improved his average to .380 Thursday, but since he was with the Chicago Cubs from April 16 to May 17, he doesn't have enough at-bats to qualify yet for the Pacific Coast League batting race that is led by Tacoma's Chris Snelling at .396.

"I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have in my career," said Cedeno, a shortstop in his first triple-A season. "It's because I hit the outside pitch to right field instead of trying to pull everything."

Cedeno, 22, has hits in eight of his last nine games and in 12 of the 15 since he returned to Iowa.

"I didn't play every day when I was in Chicago, but every day I watched batting practice," he said. "I pulled the ball too much. I don't do that now. Where the pitcher throws it, that's where I hit it."

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.

Cubs win the pennant-
So much for the theory it hurts rookies to sit with the big league club and not play. If you have a good heady player, he can take advantage of that time and learn like Cedeno did.

IENPW;
"The Cubs are now at the top of the WC."

Yeah, good thing the players/manager/coaches/management didn't listen to the majority of the fans in Cubs Nation and give up on the season.

It is amazing the team is as good in the standing as they are. I thought they would hover around .500 and then make a run when they got their players healthy and/or made a trade.

In Dusty We Trusty!!!

Everybody had a hit but Patterson. When can we finally put a nail in this guy's career coffin? Carmenfanzone compared Corey to Dunston. I couldn't agree more.

manny, you just have to love Cedeno after reading that story, don't you?

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.
Posted by: Ienpw

Amazing.

And as I write this they have the 3rd best winning percentage in the National League behind St.Louis and San Diego.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 9 hours 8 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 9 hours 24 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 15 hours 20 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 15 hours 22 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 19 hours 39 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.