Can’t Win ‘Em All (But Try Anyway)

GAME 52 PREVIEW CHICAGO CUBS (28-25) at SAN DIEGO PADRES (34-21) PETCO Park, 9.05pm CT, TV: WGN, Chan4
SP *Darrell May SP Greg Maddux
Someone post the lineups in the comments!
able> Yesterday my computer's power supply unit ground to a halt. As did the Cubs' winning streak, which at seven games was their longest under Dusty Baker. I'm back up and running now though (with a brand new flat screen LCD monitor too, even if right now it's calibrated such that reds in particular are horrendously garish!). And it's the job of Greg Maddux to get this team back up and running tonight (in the final game of the first third of our season) before we watch these offences attempt the thankless task of scorings runs off Carlos Zambrano and Jake Peavy in a pitching haven of a ballpark tomorrow. Go Cubs!

Comments

Is it Peavy tomorrow? They were saying last night on the telecast that Peavy's been sick and that Woody Williams might be activated, skip a minor league re-hab assignment, and start against the Cubs. Of course, given the source I have my doubts but hopefully there's some truth to it.

By the way. In May's four starts he's gone 3.1, 4.1 and 5.0 innings twice. Sounds like a guy who would have shut down the Cubs for eight innings a few weeks ago. Let's hope today's Cubs show him no mercy.

hairston

nevin
sweeney
burroughs
greene
ojeda
may

wgn radio (memmolo and kozlowski) had the same info that peavey may still be too ill to pitch, and that woody williams would be activated. memmo/koz were saying this around 4 p.m. chicago time today.

The Peavy 50/50 comment wa sin the AP story about this.

Am I the only one here shocked to see Dubois in the lineup after Hollandsworthless's 3-3 day? Especially when Dubois struck out with the bases loaded?

Eric-
The starter is a LHP, so no it does not suprise me that Dubois is in there. he is teh everyday starter out in LF.

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

i'm sure the recent good fortune of the cubs has nothing to do with all the deep counts we're seeing. i mean, dubois walked TWICE tonight. good lord!

way to go .. doobie do bwah...

nice infield hit by barrett ...

hairy!

wow..just......wow. i love seeing us shellac a real team.

mmmm Pepsi

A Lime Green Hatchback!

For a month, Ronny Cedeno studied major-league batters while mostly riding the bench as an extra infielder for the Chicago Cubs. He watched everything from the seriousness with which they approached batting practice to their hitting approach during games.

"You can't believe how much I learned by just watching," said Cedeno, who stayed hot during the Iowa Cubs' 5-3 loss to Oklahoma before a crowd of 8,730 Thursday afternoon at Principal Park.

Cedeno improved his average to .380 Thursday, but since he was with the Chicago Cubs from April 16 to May 17, he doesn't have enough at-bats to qualify yet for the Pacific Coast League batting race that is led by Tacoma's Chris Snelling at .396.

"I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have in my career," said Cedeno, a shortstop in his first triple-A season. "It's because I hit the outside pitch to right field instead of trying to pull everything."

Cedeno, 22, has hits in eight of his last nine games and in 12 of the 15 since he returned to Iowa.

"I didn't play every day when I was in Chicago, but every day I watched batting practice," he said. "I pulled the ball too much. I don't do that now. Where the pitcher throws it, that's where I hit it."

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.

Cubs win the pennant-
So much for the theory it hurts rookies to sit with the big league club and not play. If you have a good heady player, he can take advantage of that time and learn like Cedeno did.

IENPW;
"The Cubs are now at the top of the WC."

Yeah, good thing the players/manager/coaches/management didn't listen to the majority of the fans in Cubs Nation and give up on the season.

It is amazing the team is as good in the standing as they are. I thought they would hover around .500 and then make a run when they got their players healthy and/or made a trade.

In Dusty We Trusty!!!

Everybody had a hit but Patterson. When can we finally put a nail in this guy's career coffin? Carmenfanzone compared Corey to Dunston. I couldn't agree more.

manny, you just have to love Cedeno after reading that story, don't you?

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.
Posted by: Ienpw

Amazing.

And as I write this they have the 3rd best winning percentage in the National League behind St.Louis and San Diego.

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 58 min 18 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 2 hours 6 sec ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 5 hours 28 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 52 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 53 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.