Can’t Win ‘Em All (But Try Anyway)

GAME 52 PREVIEW CHICAGO CUBS (28-25) at SAN DIEGO PADRES (34-21) PETCO Park, 9.05pm CT, TV: WGN, Chan4
SP *Darrell May SP Greg Maddux
Someone post the lineups in the comments!
able> Yesterday my computer's power supply unit ground to a halt. As did the Cubs' winning streak, which at seven games was their longest under Dusty Baker. I'm back up and running now though (with a brand new flat screen LCD monitor too, even if right now it's calibrated such that reds in particular are horrendously garish!). And it's the job of Greg Maddux to get this team back up and running tonight (in the final game of the first third of our season) before we watch these offences attempt the thankless task of scorings runs off Carlos Zambrano and Jake Peavy in a pitching haven of a ballpark tomorrow. Go Cubs!

Comments

Is it Peavy tomorrow? They were saying last night on the telecast that Peavy's been sick and that Woody Williams might be activated, skip a minor league re-hab assignment, and start against the Cubs. Of course, given the source I have my doubts but hopefully there's some truth to it.

By the way. In May's four starts he's gone 3.1, 4.1 and 5.0 innings twice. Sounds like a guy who would have shut down the Cubs for eight innings a few weeks ago. Let's hope today's Cubs show him no mercy.

hairston

nevin
sweeney
burroughs
greene
ojeda
may

wgn radio (memmolo and kozlowski) had the same info that peavey may still be too ill to pitch, and that woody williams would be activated. memmo/koz were saying this around 4 p.m. chicago time today.

The Peavy 50/50 comment wa sin the AP story about this.

Am I the only one here shocked to see Dubois in the lineup after Hollandsworthless's 3-3 day? Especially when Dubois struck out with the bases loaded?

Eric-
The starter is a LHP, so no it does not suprise me that Dubois is in there. he is teh everyday starter out in LF.

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

careful in the chat ... trolls among us ...

i'm sure the recent good fortune of the cubs has nothing to do with all the deep counts we're seeing. i mean, dubois walked TWICE tonight. good lord!

way to go .. doobie do bwah...

nice infield hit by barrett ...

hairy!

wow..just......wow. i love seeing us shellac a real team.

mmmm Pepsi

A Lime Green Hatchback!

For a month, Ronny Cedeno studied major-league batters while mostly riding the bench as an extra infielder for the Chicago Cubs. He watched everything from the seriousness with which they approached batting practice to their hitting approach during games.

"You can't believe how much I learned by just watching," said Cedeno, who stayed hot during the Iowa Cubs' 5-3 loss to Oklahoma before a crowd of 8,730 Thursday afternoon at Principal Park.

Cedeno improved his average to .380 Thursday, but since he was with the Chicago Cubs from April 16 to May 17, he doesn't have enough at-bats to qualify yet for the Pacific Coast League batting race that is led by Tacoma's Chris Snelling at .396.

"I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have in my career," said Cedeno, a shortstop in his first triple-A season. "It's because I hit the outside pitch to right field instead of trying to pull everything."

Cedeno, 22, has hits in eight of his last nine games and in 12 of the 15 since he returned to Iowa.

"I didn't play every day when I was in Chicago, but every day I watched batting practice," he said. "I pulled the ball too much. I don't do that now. Where the pitcher throws it, that's where I hit it."

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.

Cubs win the pennant-
So much for the theory it hurts rookies to sit with the big league club and not play. If you have a good heady player, he can take advantage of that time and learn like Cedeno did.

IENPW;
"The Cubs are now at the top of the WC."

Yeah, good thing the players/manager/coaches/management didn't listen to the majority of the fans in Cubs Nation and give up on the season.

It is amazing the team is as good in the standing as they are. I thought they would hover around .500 and then make a run when they got their players healthy and/or made a trade.

In Dusty We Trusty!!!

Everybody had a hit but Patterson. When can we finally put a nail in this guy's career coffin? Carmenfanzone compared Corey to Dunston. I couldn't agree more.

manny, you just have to love Cedeno after reading that story, don't you?

The Cubs are now at the top of the WC.
Posted by: Ienpw

Amazing.

And as I write this they have the 3rd best winning percentage in the National League behind St.Louis and San Diego.

• crunch 3 hours 5 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 5 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 3 hours 38 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 2 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 10 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 20 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 39 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.