NEIFI! Update

They've updated the All-Star voting and our boy NEIFI! is still off the radar. What are you people waiting for? Spread the word! I know some of you have season tickets, bring a sign, do what it takes. NEIFI! needs you!!! At the moment, here is where our Cubbies stand.... 1B - Derrek Lee (2nd place - 209,356 votes behind Albert Pujols) 2B - Todd Walker (4th place - 456,209 behind Jeff Kent) SS - Nomar Garciaparra(3rd place - 37,728 behind Cezar Izturis) 3B - Aramis Ramirez (2nd place - 266,216 behind Scott Rolen) C - Michael Barrett (3rd place - 405,864 behind Mike Piazza) OF - Corey Patterson (10th place) and Jeromy Burnitz (13th place) By the way, Michael Barrett is currently leading all NL catchers in OPS, although he doesn't have enough at-bats to technically qualify. Aramis is 4th in OPS among 3rd basemen behind Morgan Ensberg, David Wright and just behind Troy Glaus. So go vote NEIFI!, Stud-Lee, Aramis and Barrett. It's your duty as a Cubs fan.

Comments

"Stud-Lee" ... way too gay.

Hi, long time reader of the site, first time posting. I have tickets to 3 Cubs Games for the 4th of July Weekend.

Thursday June 30th Sec. 523 Row 8 $14 Each 2Tix
Friday July 1st Sec 538 Row 1 $17 Each 2Tix
Saturday July 2nd Sec 229 Row 19 $30 Each 2 Tix

I am selling these tickets for face value, my original plan was a Cubs Road Trip, but a family commitment came up so i'm stuck waiting until the Cubs visit Philly in August to see the cubs in person. If you are interested in any of these seats or have any questions; please feel free to email me at [email protected].

spam

Ok, I realize that Neifi has played above everyone's expectations and this has been especially important considering the injury to Nomar. However, Neifi is not an all-star. He is currently sixth in the NL in VORP at SS (including the injured Barmes) and he has been streaky all season at the bat. His defense has been good, but he has also muffed some important plays. He is now 4 for his last 29, with 1 BB in that space of times and his OBP is .325. The fact that Baker has Perez and Patterson batting 1-2 in front of Lee precludes any talk of Baker as a manager of any consequence greater than John McGraw's corpse.

I'll spear your eye with a toothpick, son.

• jacos 39 min 8 sec ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

Charlie 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

crunch 1 hour 52 min ago view
  • I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 4 hours 16 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 20 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 4 hours 28 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 42 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 4 hours 45 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 51 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 8 hours 35 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 8 hours 37 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.

• 101 wins...most since 1910 (104).

neat. ...or sad. pick one. pick both. 'murica.

• Just looked up Grimm's stats -- after a great run, he gave up 2 runs vs. MIL then didn't pitch for 10 days. Don't remember why?