Enough with the April Fool's Day hijinx, time to hand out some prizes from some of our past contests.
MLB '08: The Show PS3 Giveaway
It was a simple 6 question contest with a tiebreaker and three folks got all six correct, with another six getting five correct answers. Unfortunately I only have five games to give as prizes, so it came down to the tiebreaker for those who got five correct. Before I reveal the winners, the correct answers:
Correct Answer: Iowa Cubs (sounds like it might be the DL, but it'll be Iowa's DL)
2. Where in the batting order will Alfonso Soriano bat to start the game
during the Cubs exhibition game on Friday, March 28th versus the
Correct Answer: He batted second
3. Between Mike Fontentot, Eric Patterson, Ronny Cedeno and Alex Cintron, how many will make the Cubs Opening Day Roster?
Correct Answer: Two, Mike Fontenot & Ronny Cedeno
4. Where will reliever Tim Lahey be by Opening Day?
Correct Answer: Very few got this one, but he was claimed by another organization off waivers.
Correct Answer: Baltimore Orioles
6. The Cubs will acquire how many players via trade between now and Opening Day that will be on their Opening Day Roster?
Correct Answer: 0, Reed Johnson was signed as a free agent
Tiebreaker: How many runs will the Cubs score on offense in preseason games between 03/22/2008 and 03/29/2008?
Correct Answer: 52
And the winners (drumroll please):
Andy, Indiana JJ and
Wrigley Field Ruz got all six correct. Archie, JohnT, D.L., DPappy, J_Cb19 and David S. got five correct.
As I said, I only have five to give away and Ruz is ineligible for a prize (well he's eligible but he can buy his own now from the money he's getting from the Wrigley company). So we had to get into the tiebreakers:
David S. - 28
So Archie, JohnT and D.L. get the last three copies...congrats!!! Email me your address information and I'll drop those in the mail tomorrow.
Free Agent Frenzy 2007
We never did announce our winner for the Free Agent Frenzy 2007 contest, so let's do that as well. It ended up a 3-way tie between Brick, Chris H. and Dave (Big_Lowitzki) with 71 points each. Barry Bonds went unsigned, but if he does sign with the Angels mid-season, I'll give Arizona Phil his seven points but it won't be enough to help him. So we had to break out the tiebreaker rules.
In the event of a tie for the Grand Prize, tiebreakers will be used
among the remaining tied participants in the following order:
1. Total number of actual correct player-team selections;
2. The highest actual Confidence Level selection that was correct,
going backwards until a tie is broken. For example, if two people tie
with 75 points, but one person selected his or her "15" pick correctly
and the other person's top correct choice was his or her "14" pick, the
person with the "15" correct pick would be the winner; and
3. MLBAM will administer a timed baseball trivia quiz, testing
the tied participants' knowledge of Major League Baseball, until the
tie is broken.
The participant whose submission is closest to the correct answer will be deemed the winner of the applicable tiebreaker.
Luckily, we don't have to get into the timed trivia quiz. All three got six correct answers which takes us to the second tiebreaker. They all got their #15, #14 and #13 picks correct, but Chris H. tripped up on #12 knocking him out. So it goes to the #11 pick and Dave nailed Fukudome to the Cubs at that number while Brick missed out on #11 with A-rod to the Angels.
Congrats, Dave, send me your address info and you get a copy of the Chicago Cubs Legends DVD Set.
There also seems to be a mix-up in the 2007 Prediction contest we ran, so I'm recalculating those numbers. The winner also gets a Chicago Cubs Legend DVD set.
If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.
Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."
This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.
I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.
They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.
- They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
- Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.
new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup
.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.
...i hate espn.
oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.
I'm liking this rookie Nathan.
Richard DFA'd. Meh...
Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.
If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.