Cure for the Common Offense

GAME 119 IN-GAME DISCUSSION THREAD [PARACHAT] CHICAGO CUBS (57-61) @ HOUSTON ASTROS (63-54) MINUTE MAID PARK, 7:05 pm CDT, TV: CSN, Fox Sports SouthWest
Wandy Rodriguez LHP
7-5, 6.18 ERA
57/34 K/BB, 14 HR in 78.2 IP
Glendon Rusch, LHP
5-4, 3.98 ERA
77/40 K/BB, 9 HR in 97.1 IP
LF Matt Murton CF Wily Taveras
2B *Todd Walker
iggio 1B Derrek Lee 1B #Lance Berkman 3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Morgan Ensberg SS Nomar Garciaparra RF Jason Lane C Michael Barrett SS Adam Everett RF *Jeromy Burnitz LF Chris Burke CF * Corey Patterson C Humberto Quintero P *Glendon Rusch P #Wandy Rodriguez Wow, this is the lineup of the team leading the wild card hunt. I guess pitching and defense can get you a long way. For the eternal optimists out there who still think we have a shot at making the playoffs, I think it's fair to say we have to sweep the Astros this series. We'll play them a grand total of 10 times before the season is out, but I doubt we'll be as lucky as to miss Roger Clemens in those 2 series at the end of September. And if you can't beat a fella named Wandy, you have no business in the playoffs anyway. I like this lineup a lot, which generally means that run scoring will be minimal. It's always a good idea though to load your lineup with righties when playing at The Juice Box and the super-short left field porch it houses. We'll see the good southpaw on the Astros in Andy Pettitte tomorrow, so it'll be another chance to load up the lineup with righties. I wonder if Murton will get a start in both games, spelling Burnitz tomorrow instead of Lawton. Some doozy pitching matchups after tonight as well, at least when you look at the names. Pettitte vs. Maddux tomorrow and Zambrano vs Oswalt on Wednesday. If the Cubs offense can't get going playing here and then Coors Stadium, there's nothing that will cure it. If anything, we can begin to play the role of spoiler and spoiling the Astros post-season hopes sure would be fun. Go Cubs!!!

Comments

Yeah, the lineup looks good. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the result will be equally as pleasant.

I hate HOU as worse as any NL team so I hope we can take them out of the playoffs. Everybody talks about STL being our big rival but I take more joy beating Houston than I do the Cards. Any one else feel the same way? Hopefully Murton can have a big tonight.

I feel the same way Chifan. I can't stand the fact that I don't even really know what their colors are. Plus, how long can Jose Vizcaino really stay on a major league roster to torment just one team?

I agree, only if we sweep here will I start looking at the WC standings again. But for the first time since the beginning of the season we finally have just about the whole team playing, so who knows? Taking 3 of 4 from St. Louis was impressive, regardless of their injuries.

And if my remaining hopes for the season are delusional, at least we can play the spoiler role against Houston. I'll be in Houston rooting the Cubs on behind home plate tomorrow and Wednesday. Judging by the pitching matchups looks like I picked the right two games to go to!

I definately want to beat the Astros...but for some reason I can't help but admire their unbelievable turnarounds 2 years in a row...and I am in awe everytime I watch Clemens pitch.
I do hate Oswalt and Berkman for the stunts they pulled last year against the Cubs...but hey, the team flew by us...maybe that type of gamesmanship is what we need right about now.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

I just saw the line-up and I am impressed with Dusty's decision tonight. I hope it works out for the Cubs.

does anyone here think this lineup looks like the 2006 Cubs?

• Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 2 hours 1 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 7 hours 9 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 7 hours 24 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 11 hours 35 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 12 hours 40 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 13 hours 7 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 13 hours 34 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 15 hours 2 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 16 hours 37 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 18 hours 17 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 18 hours 18 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 18 hours 20 min ago view