Cure for the Common Offense

GAME 119 IN-GAME DISCUSSION THREAD [PARACHAT] CHICAGO CUBS (57-61) @ HOUSTON ASTROS (63-54) MINUTE MAID PARK, 7:05 pm CDT, TV: CSN, Fox Sports SouthWest
Wandy Rodriguez LHP
7-5, 6.18 ERA
57/34 K/BB, 14 HR in 78.2 IP
Glendon Rusch, LHP
5-4, 3.98 ERA
77/40 K/BB, 9 HR in 97.1 IP
LF Matt Murton CF Wily Taveras
2B *Todd Walker
iggio 1B Derrek Lee 1B #Lance Berkman 3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Morgan Ensberg SS Nomar Garciaparra RF Jason Lane C Michael Barrett SS Adam Everett RF *Jeromy Burnitz LF Chris Burke CF * Corey Patterson C Humberto Quintero P *Glendon Rusch P #Wandy Rodriguez Wow, this is the lineup of the team leading the wild card hunt. I guess pitching and defense can get you a long way. For the eternal optimists out there who still think we have a shot at making the playoffs, I think it's fair to say we have to sweep the Astros this series. We'll play them a grand total of 10 times before the season is out, but I doubt we'll be as lucky as to miss Roger Clemens in those 2 series at the end of September. And if you can't beat a fella named Wandy, you have no business in the playoffs anyway. I like this lineup a lot, which generally means that run scoring will be minimal. It's always a good idea though to load your lineup with righties when playing at The Juice Box and the super-short left field porch it houses. We'll see the good southpaw on the Astros in Andy Pettitte tomorrow, so it'll be another chance to load up the lineup with righties. I wonder if Murton will get a start in both games, spelling Burnitz tomorrow instead of Lawton. Some doozy pitching matchups after tonight as well, at least when you look at the names. Pettitte vs. Maddux tomorrow and Zambrano vs Oswalt on Wednesday. If the Cubs offense can't get going playing here and then Coors Stadium, there's nothing that will cure it. If anything, we can begin to play the role of spoiler and spoiling the Astros post-season hopes sure would be fun. Go Cubs!!!

Comments

Yeah, the lineup looks good. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the result will be equally as pleasant.

I hate HOU as worse as any NL team so I hope we can take them out of the playoffs. Everybody talks about STL being our big rival but I take more joy beating Houston than I do the Cards. Any one else feel the same way? Hopefully Murton can have a big tonight.

I feel the same way Chifan. I can't stand the fact that I don't even really know what their colors are. Plus, how long can Jose Vizcaino really stay on a major league roster to torment just one team?

I agree, only if we sweep here will I start looking at the WC standings again. But for the first time since the beginning of the season we finally have just about the whole team playing, so who knows? Taking 3 of 4 from St. Louis was impressive, regardless of their injuries.

And if my remaining hopes for the season are delusional, at least we can play the spoiler role against Houston. I'll be in Houston rooting the Cubs on behind home plate tomorrow and Wednesday. Judging by the pitching matchups looks like I picked the right two games to go to!

I definately want to beat the Astros...but for some reason I can't help but admire their unbelievable turnarounds 2 years in a row...and I am in awe everytime I watch Clemens pitch.
I do hate Oswalt and Berkman for the stunts they pulled last year against the Cubs...but hey, the team flew by us...maybe that type of gamesmanship is what we need right about now.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

I just saw the line-up and I am impressed with Dusty's decision tonight. I hope it works out for the Cubs.

does anyone here think this lineup looks like the 2006 Cubs?

• In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.

John Beasley 13 min 17 sec ago view
  • vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.

while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.

• Carl Jr.! Very nice!

Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.

• m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.

...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.

• I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.

• 2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.

Cubster 12 hours 26 min ago view
  • welcome back fowler.

• More slow news...

Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?

Cubster 13 hours 14 min ago view
  • glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.

.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.

i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).

• CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).

Arizona Phil 15 hours 41 min ago view
  • The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.

Non Roster Invitee 15 hours 52 min ago view
  • CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.

Arizona Phil 15 hours 56 min ago view
  • Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.

chitownmvp01 15 hours 59 min ago view
  • Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"

He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.

Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.

chitownmvp01 16 hours 7 min ago view
  • Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.

Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.

• Arizona Phil 19 hours 31 min ago view