Cure for the Common Offense

GAME 119 IN-GAME DISCUSSION THREAD [PARACHAT] CHICAGO CUBS (57-61) @ HOUSTON ASTROS (63-54) MINUTE MAID PARK, 7:05 pm CDT, TV: CSN, Fox Sports SouthWest
Wandy Rodriguez LHP
7-5, 6.18 ERA
57/34 K/BB, 14 HR in 78.2 IP
Glendon Rusch, LHP
5-4, 3.98 ERA
77/40 K/BB, 9 HR in 97.1 IP
LF Matt Murton CF Wily Taveras
2B *Todd Walker
iggio 1B Derrek Lee 1B #Lance Berkman 3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Morgan Ensberg SS Nomar Garciaparra RF Jason Lane C Michael Barrett SS Adam Everett RF *Jeromy Burnitz LF Chris Burke CF * Corey Patterson C Humberto Quintero P *Glendon Rusch P #Wandy Rodriguez Wow, this is the lineup of the team leading the wild card hunt. I guess pitching and defense can get you a long way. For the eternal optimists out there who still think we have a shot at making the playoffs, I think it's fair to say we have to sweep the Astros this series. We'll play them a grand total of 10 times before the season is out, but I doubt we'll be as lucky as to miss Roger Clemens in those 2 series at the end of September. And if you can't beat a fella named Wandy, you have no business in the playoffs anyway. I like this lineup a lot, which generally means that run scoring will be minimal. It's always a good idea though to load your lineup with righties when playing at The Juice Box and the super-short left field porch it houses. We'll see the good southpaw on the Astros in Andy Pettitte tomorrow, so it'll be another chance to load up the lineup with righties. I wonder if Murton will get a start in both games, spelling Burnitz tomorrow instead of Lawton. Some doozy pitching matchups after tonight as well, at least when you look at the names. Pettitte vs. Maddux tomorrow and Zambrano vs Oswalt on Wednesday. If the Cubs offense can't get going playing here and then Coors Stadium, there's nothing that will cure it. If anything, we can begin to play the role of spoiler and spoiling the Astros post-season hopes sure would be fun. Go Cubs!!!

Comments

Yeah, the lineup looks good. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the result will be equally as pleasant.

I hate HOU as worse as any NL team so I hope we can take them out of the playoffs. Everybody talks about STL being our big rival but I take more joy beating Houston than I do the Cards. Any one else feel the same way? Hopefully Murton can have a big tonight.

I feel the same way Chifan. I can't stand the fact that I don't even really know what their colors are. Plus, how long can Jose Vizcaino really stay on a major league roster to torment just one team?

I agree, only if we sweep here will I start looking at the WC standings again. But for the first time since the beginning of the season we finally have just about the whole team playing, so who knows? Taking 3 of 4 from St. Louis was impressive, regardless of their injuries.

And if my remaining hopes for the season are delusional, at least we can play the spoiler role against Houston. I'll be in Houston rooting the Cubs on behind home plate tomorrow and Wednesday. Judging by the pitching matchups looks like I picked the right two games to go to!

I definately want to beat the Astros...but for some reason I can't help but admire their unbelievable turnarounds 2 years in a row...and I am in awe everytime I watch Clemens pitch.
I do hate Oswalt and Berkman for the stunts they pulled last year against the Cubs...but hey, the team flew by us...maybe that type of gamesmanship is what we need right about now.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

I just saw the line-up and I am impressed with Dusty's decision tonight. I hope it works out for the Cubs.

does anyone here think this lineup looks like the 2006 Cubs?

• i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.

crunch 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.

• Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register

Cubster 4 hours 47 min ago view
  • Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.

Tribune interviews her...

Cubster 4 hours 51 min ago view
  • Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??

cubbies.4ever 6 hours 38 min ago view
  • if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.

#Bernie130orBust

• I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.

VirginiaPhil 16 hours 13 min ago view
  • They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.

John Beasley 17 hours 27 min ago view
  • If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!

(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)

Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.

Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.

VirginiaPhil 17 hours 34 min ago view
  • RIP Zoobrest.

• He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

• Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

• 34-14...awww yeah.

• Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 1 day 27 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/