Cure for the Common Offense

GAME 119 IN-GAME DISCUSSION THREAD [PARACHAT] CHICAGO CUBS (57-61) @ HOUSTON ASTROS (63-54) MINUTE MAID PARK, 7:05 pm CDT, TV: CSN, Fox Sports SouthWest
Wandy Rodriguez LHP
7-5, 6.18 ERA
57/34 K/BB, 14 HR in 78.2 IP
Glendon Rusch, LHP
5-4, 3.98 ERA
77/40 K/BB, 9 HR in 97.1 IP
LF Matt Murton CF Wily Taveras
2B *Todd Walker
iggio 1B Derrek Lee 1B #Lance Berkman 3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Morgan Ensberg SS Nomar Garciaparra RF Jason Lane C Michael Barrett SS Adam Everett RF *Jeromy Burnitz LF Chris Burke CF * Corey Patterson C Humberto Quintero P *Glendon Rusch P #Wandy Rodriguez Wow, this is the lineup of the team leading the wild card hunt. I guess pitching and defense can get you a long way. For the eternal optimists out there who still think we have a shot at making the playoffs, I think it's fair to say we have to sweep the Astros this series. We'll play them a grand total of 10 times before the season is out, but I doubt we'll be as lucky as to miss Roger Clemens in those 2 series at the end of September. And if you can't beat a fella named Wandy, you have no business in the playoffs anyway. I like this lineup a lot, which generally means that run scoring will be minimal. It's always a good idea though to load your lineup with righties when playing at The Juice Box and the super-short left field porch it houses. We'll see the good southpaw on the Astros in Andy Pettitte tomorrow, so it'll be another chance to load up the lineup with righties. I wonder if Murton will get a start in both games, spelling Burnitz tomorrow instead of Lawton. Some doozy pitching matchups after tonight as well, at least when you look at the names. Pettitte vs. Maddux tomorrow and Zambrano vs Oswalt on Wednesday. If the Cubs offense can't get going playing here and then Coors Stadium, there's nothing that will cure it. If anything, we can begin to play the role of spoiler and spoiling the Astros post-season hopes sure would be fun. Go Cubs!!!

Comments

Yeah, the lineup looks good. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the result will be equally as pleasant.

I hate HOU as worse as any NL team so I hope we can take them out of the playoffs. Everybody talks about STL being our big rival but I take more joy beating Houston than I do the Cards. Any one else feel the same way? Hopefully Murton can have a big tonight.

I feel the same way Chifan. I can't stand the fact that I don't even really know what their colors are. Plus, how long can Jose Vizcaino really stay on a major league roster to torment just one team?

I agree, only if we sweep here will I start looking at the WC standings again. But for the first time since the beginning of the season we finally have just about the whole team playing, so who knows? Taking 3 of 4 from St. Louis was impressive, regardless of their injuries.

And if my remaining hopes for the season are delusional, at least we can play the spoiler role against Houston. I'll be in Houston rooting the Cubs on behind home plate tomorrow and Wednesday. Judging by the pitching matchups looks like I picked the right two games to go to!

I definately want to beat the Astros...but for some reason I can't help but admire their unbelievable turnarounds 2 years in a row...and I am in awe everytime I watch Clemens pitch.
I do hate Oswalt and Berkman for the stunts they pulled last year against the Cubs...but hey, the team flew by us...maybe that type of gamesmanship is what we need right about now.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

Sounds like Adam has a man crush.

I just saw the line-up and I am impressed with Dusty's decision tonight. I hope it works out for the Cubs.

does anyone here think this lineup looks like the 2006 Cubs?

Thanks crunch!!

It's mesmerizing

jacos 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

• Good work!

John Beasley 3 hours 55 min ago view
  • crunch 10 hours 32 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 10 hours 33 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 11 hours 6 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 11 hours 29 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 21 hours 38 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk