Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• I love winning! It's, like, better than losing?

billybucks 3 min 58 sec ago view
  • LOLLYGAGGERS!

Dusty Baylor 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Jackstraw 4 hours 11 min ago view
  • Its too bad Warren didnt get to pitch. He would have saved us.

• Whoa -- that Contreras play in the 8th looked too much like a "Schwarber" -- nearly crashed into the wall going full speed, with Heyward doing the same.

New rule: if you are a catcher playing LF, and find yourself sprinting after a fly ball in the gap -- stop, let the CF go after it and get ready to play it off the wall.

• Cubs have no spark and no life. Pretty boring to watch these days.

• I thought trips to Miami were supposed to be fun. This one sucked.

The bottom half of the bullpen now turns close games into blowout losses. Not good.

Once Fowler went to the DL, the team went into the tank. Wonder if he'll get any love this offseason? Probably not.

• 6IP, 2ER. The last one scored because of another botched Zobrist DP turn.

And now, a bad throw by KB. Sloppy.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

• Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 11 hours 59 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 12 hours 8 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.