Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• Ryan Kellogg is still a fringy prospect despite being very old for low-A. He's putting up very good numbers no matter who he's facihg.

John Beasley 1 hour 4 min ago view
  • Great article on Yosh and Nobe. Thanks for including it Trans.

Hagsag 1 hour 22 min ago view
  • Phil, it looks like Kevonte Mitchell has made some progress this Spring. Your thoughts please, thanks.

Hagsag 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • so far ryan williams (AAA) is the only system prospect on the "could be ready soon" horizon doing well...that said, he's not very exciting and he's assumed to be an end-rotation talent at best.

paul blackburn is getting great early returns in AA, but he's getting surprisingly low K numbers doing it. he throws lot of low/sinking stuff with good control...also assumed to be an end-rotation guy, but he's got room to be better, especially given his control as base to build on.

• Speaking of pitching -- another ugly outing for Underwood at AA. Through 6 starts: 5.19 ERA, WHIP 1.69. Yikes!

Man, do we need starting pitching depth. Our best hopes are still hanging with AZ Phil in Arizona. Very scary.

• jeebus... that's terrible.

Ryno 8 hours 42 min ago view
  • *clap* *clap* *clap*

Brick 10 hours 43 min ago view
  • Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.

• Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.

I'm also very happy to hear about the bi-level bump for Daniel Lewis. In the Name of Theo, he was the Last of the Full-Season Cuts, and There Will Be Blood for those who unnecessarily slow his development. Sure, he might end up in independent ball pitching for Lincoln. But if everything breaks right, he may even have a shot at joining up with the Gangs of Chicago. I wouldn't bet My Left Foot on it, though.

John Beasley 12 hours 4 min ago view
  • CHARLIE: The Cubs did the same thing with LHSP Eric Jokisch last month, and it has nothing to do with needing the player's 40-man roster slot.

The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.

Arizona Phil 12 hours 6 min ago view
  • Moosetacos, I like it. All I can think of is a bearded lumberjack dude operating a Mexican style taco truck with a Canadian accent.

Sonicwind75 12 hours 42 min ago view
  • How strange is this for May? Is it insignificant, or does it suggest some sort of trade might be in the works?

• The Cubs have sent LHRP C. J. Riefenhauser outright to Iowa.

Cubs MLB 40-man roster now stands at 37 (three slots open).

Arizona Phil 13 hours 30 min ago view
  • yow...the a.gordon/m.moustakas collision now makes the schwarb collision look minor in scope.

gordon broke his wrist, expected to miss 4+ weeks...and today moosetacos has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. fun times in KC.

• dodgers calling up julio urias for tommorow's game. neat.

fernando-mania might have a new heir...dude is 19 (turns 20 in august) and he's got a legit argument for being MLB-ready.

• jacos 17 hours 15 min ago view