Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• Great news.

"Terms of the deal were not disclosed."

Rob Richardson 15 min 45 sec ago view
  • Theo inks five year extension

PC tonite at PNC

jacos 38 min 2 sec ago view
  • Not as a major factor, but could be a tie-breaker. But, yeah, on performance and experience, it's Coghlan.

billybucks 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • Arrieta’s 2.85 ERA would be good enough to lead 26 other teams. He's 3rd on #Cubs behind Hendricks (1.99) and Lester (2.28)

Rob G. 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • jacos 2 hours 29 min ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

• tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

• I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 6 hours 7 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 11 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 6 hours 19 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 41 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 10 hours 26 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.