Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• Buddy Ryan takes his place alongside George Allen as the great Bear head coaches who never were.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 54 min ago view
  • Well, at least he can still hit: Jake slashing .294/.368/.868. Forget hitting 8th -- he should hit 6th.

• Curious to see today's lineup vs. a LHP: Ross needs to catch Lester, Joe likes Javy at 3B when Lester pitches. Heyward with back-to-back good games at the plate, and is actually hitting a little better against LHP (.247/.341) than RHP (.232/.321), although neither is much to write home about. But, tomorrow is an early day game, so some regulars will probably sit either today or tomorrow.

Maybe Willson in LF, KB in RF and Almora in CF? If so, Albert Jr., assume every ball is yours.

• "Pitching prospects not looking so hot"

That reminds me that Lucas Giolito will start for the Nats tonight.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 20 min ago view
  • Well, there you go. Federowicz is one of the best at balls in the dirt.

VirginiaPhil 2 hours 40 min ago view
  • Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:

"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
    "No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"

• How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.

• Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.

2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.

Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.

• Contreras keeps hitting/walking like this, and Miggy keep up the poor D and lack of offense - the kid could be the #1 catcher very soon.

• it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals lose the KC and the Pirates lost too.

Cubster 14 hours 19 min ago view
  • ...still trying to process what I just saw. From both KB and Jake. Walking Billy Hamilton twice is a cry for help. I think the nudie photos are messing with Jake's head.

• Hopefully Peralta's time on the Cubs roster will be shorter than R. Soriano's.

Cubster 14 hours 38 min ago view
  • it took 9 pitches for peralta to give up his 1st cubs homer. neat.

• damn...totally missed that ruben quevedo died on june 7th. he was only 37...heart attack.

he threw some really horrible games for the cubs in 2000 and followed it up by doing the same for 3 season for the brewers.

• Holy Kris Bryant what?!

Ryno 14 hours 51 min ago view
  • Hitting 3 HR, 2 doubles in a game. Never been done in mlb history per Len/Bob.

Cubster 15 hours 3 min ago view