Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• Screw the closer.

Old and Blue 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.

johann 1 hour 29 min ago view
  • wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K

nasty.

crunch 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • 3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.

28 pitches.

wonder if they'll let him go another.

4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.

• And stay off the keyboard too

Eric S 2 hours 40 min ago view
  • Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.

• hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.

• Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.

Eric S 3 hours 7 min ago view
  • "cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.

btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.

• hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.

• heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.

that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.

hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.

• she did fine, fwiw.

bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.

zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.

• Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL

CubbyBlue 5 hours 5 min ago view
  • i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.

• I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.

• Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register