Adam Greenberg in the NYT

I looked up from my dissertation just long enough to notice that Adam Greenberg has made The Paper of Record. It's odd that they would decide to run an article on him now, all of the sudden. But it's a fine piece, framing both him and Dusty Baker in a very nice, sympathetic light. Sadly, it seems that Greenberg still struggles with lingering effects of the beaning. Sorry I can't write more, but I encourage you to check it out.

Comments

Let's hope it doesn't destroy his career like a beaning destroyed Ellis Valetine's, Sammy Sosa's and many more.

Great article, thanks for the link...Maybe if Murton's parents would come to more games he would have played more often. :)

Dickie Thon, Rocky Colavito (I Believe) and who's the Red Sox player they always talk about? Had a very Italian sounding name (like Rocky) as I recall?

Then again, just this year we've seen Hafner and Morneau recover nicely...

Matt Clement's name isn't Italian!

They were talking about Tony Conigliaro. He still had a 36 HR season afterwards, but he was done at age 26.

"I was hit in the head in the minor leagues," Cubs shortstop Neifi Perez said, "... a coach told me that something like that is one in a thousand. So I stopped thinking about it. ..."

Stathead!

Neifi Perez: delivering the keynote address at a SABR convention near you!

Ray Chapman was never the same after his beaning.

I don't think the beaning ruined Sammy's career..not being able to use his 'kit' may have had something to do with it.

speculation only, mind you.

Sammy was beaned more than once and as a result stands noticeably further from the plate where he reaches for outside pitches instead of swinging at them. It's reduced his bat speed and hastened his demise as a hitter.

So that's the Cubs problem. The coaches told them to all stop thinking.

At least we've finally found something the coaches told them...that they could master.

• ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

crunch 28 sec ago view
  • I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

Charlie 2 min 52 sec ago view
  • If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 55 min 13 sec ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

Rob G. 1 hour 54 min ago view
  • I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 2 hours 31 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

• I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

• last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

• How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 6 hours 18 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 8 hours 50 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.