Wood Surgery Scheduled

The white flags are upon us and here's another one. Kerry Wood will go under the knife on Wednesday for arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. When they first discussed surgery, I recall reading something about a 3 month recovery period and that is was very similar to the procedure that Matt Morris underwent for the Cardinals last year. That means he could start throwing once again in December, plenty of time to start addressing the issues with his mechanics that are probably the source of his problems. Whether that will happen is another story of course. I wonder if the Cubs will DL him and call someone up or just wait until Septemeber 1st when rosters expand. Could this finally be a way to get Jermaine Van Buren up? My limited roster knowledge tells me they could put Wood on the 60 day DL and get Van Buren on the 40 man roster. Speaking of the 40 man roster and September call-ups, any guesses? Here's mine for what they're worth. Adam Greenberg (once AA playoffs are over) Jermaine Van Buren (see above) Mike Fontentot (only if Todd Walker gets traded) Matt Murton Rich Hill Sergio Mitre Geovany Soto (almost always call up a 3rd catcher) I think John Koronka is a small possibility and Ronny Cedeno will stick around once Aramis comes back off the DL. I don't see any point in wasting money to bring up Ben Grieve.

Comments

I was at the game Sat. and almost had an aneurism as Wood was warming up - and then sat down even! For crying out loud what are you trying to do.

Thank god he's getting his surgery - Dusty apparently hasn't figured out he had to use Kerry carefully and not just like any other reliever.

The good news: We wont be sitting on pins and needles this year during the wild card stretch run

The bad news: There aren't very many good free agants up for grabs this year.

Sorry, JVB--though he way deserves it--will not be called up Sept 1 barring some unforeseen additional roster moves; he's not on the 40-man roster.

"Dusty apparently hasn't figured out he had to use Kerry carefully and not just like any other reliever."

Knowing that Kerry Wood needs surgery, and that he's going to be shut down early to have it, did it make sense to use him in the 8th tonight with the Cubs down 8-4?

What possible good could come of it?

You can also visit some relevant pages dedicated to dexitrim diet pill dexitrim diet pill http://www.budgethawaii.net/diet-pill.html http://www.budgethawaii.net/diet-pill.html - Tons of interesdting stuff!!!

• Not as a major factor, but could be a tie-breaker. But, yeah, on performance and experience, it's Coghlan.

billybucks 37 min 59 sec ago view
  • Arrieta’s 2.85 ERA would be good enough to lead 26 other teams. He's 3rd on #Cubs behind Hendricks (1.99) and Lester (2.28)

Rob G. 44 min 22 sec ago view
  • jacos 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • For sure! Russell and Baez are the first infielders in a while to make me think of star defensive players in football or basketball--it's almost like they force turnovers, and they definitely play the field with a degree of athletic aggression I'd expect from a linebacker.

[Edit: Was meant to be a response to JB above.]

• tebow hit a HR in the 1st pitch he sees in instructs..lulz.

• I don't think his issue(s) will have anything to do with it. He hasn't hit since he's been back. Coghlan has the hot hand.

Tito 5 hours 19 min ago view
  • I'm not a denier but definitely a skeptic on Strop and Grimm, who struggle with fastball control. Strop doesn't go near the ninth inning, and note how Grimm couldn't close the deal even with a 5-run lead. So Felix Pena comes in and gets the 3-pitch game-ending strikeout like it was nothing.

And how about Almora missing that very catchable ball? That was unexpected after all the hype about his glove.

When Trea Turner misses balls like that--which he does--I draw conclusions from it. It seems to be the one chink in his armor. But I'll give Almora another chance.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 23 min ago view
  • Assuming Soler is good to go, I think it comes down to 3 of the following 4: Coghlan, TLS, Sczcur, Almora. Of the 4, TLS seems to be the hardest to justify, particularly given his behavioral issues.

• I'm wondering if both Coghlan and LaStella make it. With Javy being able to play all the infield spots and Joe maybe wanting late-inning D when Soler plays (assuming he plays), hence either Szczur or Almora, I think LaStella might be the odd guy out.

Tito 5 hours 32 min ago view
  • Hendricks needs the win, anyway, plus a couple more.

My hunch is that Hendricks wins the Cy Young . . . for Lester. That is, without Hendricks tipping the scale toward the Cubs, Scherzer tops Lester.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 45 min ago view
  • Old Cub fans remember when Ken Hubbs died at 22 in the crash of a small plane he was piloting in a storm in Utah in 1964. But Hubbs was not an elite power pitcher like Score and Fernandez. Score lived a long time after the accident but it was (effectively) career-ending.

VirginiaPhil 5 hours 48 min ago view
  • HAGSAG: Since I've only seen them throw in one game and in one "live" BP session, all I can do is provide initial first impressions.

Brailyn Marquez is listed at 6'4 but is probably more like 6'5 or 6'6. I would describe him as a younger version of Bryan Hudson, throwing a ton of ground balls but not getting a lot of swings & misses (yet). Because of his size he could eventually grow into more velocity, but right now he's mostly a pitch-to-contact guy. He generally throws strikes.

Arizona Phil 5 hours 54 min ago view
  • Phil, do Marquez and Ocampo look like prospects?

Hagsag 9 hours 38 min ago view
  • It helps when your defense has declared war against the H in WHIP.

Still impressive.

John Beasley 9 hours 40 min ago view
  • Lackey finishes with a 3.35 ERA. Currently good for 13th in the NL. Not bad for a guy signed to be a #3 starter in a 15-team league.

He is also 6th in WHIP. Pretty amazing: Cubs have the #2, #3, #5 and #6 starters in WHIP.

• Completely meaningless game, but Pena striking out Sean the Turd to with the bases loaded was very fun.

Other than one bad game in SD, Pena has been very good. Even with that game, 9.0 IP, 13 K, 0.89 WHIP.