Jason Marquis Has A Family To Think About

Reader Crunch beat me to this by a couple minutes in the Comments, but Paul Sullivan of the Tribune writes that after making his Spring Training debut Saturday in a 6-2 Cubs loss to the Angels (2 runs, 3 hits allowed in 2 IP), Jason Marquis let it be known that he wants to be traded if the Cubs aren't going to let him start:

"I love Chicago. I definitely want to stay here...But I also signed as a starter...I love (Chicago), I love the fans, I love the stadium. I also have a family to worry about, too. I think I can take my services elsewhere...and help another team, in that capacity as a starter."

How Marquis's family would suffer if he was pitching long relief, I'm not sure.

Lou Piniella's response after he was informed of Marquis's comments:

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does. I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp over here, everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation."

Sullivan also writes that Boston scout Keith Champion was at Saturday's game, which one might connect with the Cubs' reported interest in Coco Crisp. When Curt Schilling's latest injury came to light, Marquis's name came up as a possible trade target for Theo Epstein, but since the Sox recently signed The Pitcher Who Used To Be Bartolo Colon, their interest in Marquis might be less...if there was ever any to start with.

Comments

Unless the Sox can find a couple a pair of Mo Vaughan's pants to sew togther I don't know how Colon can even dress.

Marquis fed his family with the bloated contract he got last year. It's not the nFL

Marquis looks like he lost weight.

Any team in particular that Marquis wants to go to so he can be left off their playoff rosters?

Bad idea to piss off Lou too.

Lou didn't take kindly about Marquis' statements, Look like Marquis will be sent packing by Lou just like Barrett was. I expect a trade within a week. Bye bye Marquis. Hit The Road Jack..Be Gone!!!!
Hello Coco Crisp!

From MLBTR:

Angelos Gives MacPhail Permission To Move Roberts
This morning it was reported that the Cubs had two scouts at the Orioles' spring game yesterday to watch Brian Roberts.

Now, several people have written in to let us know that Bruce Levine of ESPN 1000 is reporting that Peter Angelos has given Andy MacPhail the green light to trade Roberts. It has long been rumored that Angelos might have been holding up the trade to the Cubs because of his personal affection for Roberts. With Angelos' blessing, this deal may finally happen in the next few days.

I'm going to take the unpopular opinion here, because I think Marquis is a kick-ass #5 starter, several notches better than Dempster or Leiber. Not only does he always take the ball and post approximately a 500 wpct, but he does it consistently. He's consistently good half of the time.

So basically, I think he has a case. He's being kind of whiny about it, but he's the best option for the Cubs.

And if he's really worried about his family, and this leads to a life of pitching long relief, I'll gladly sign over all my paychecks to him and his family. I'll take his long reliever salary.

Sure Ryno, but like Lou says, if he's the best option, shouldn't he be able to prove himself over the next four weeks? Why make a dumb-ass comment like that after the third game of spring training?

When he was here in St. Louis, he didn't complain much, but he failed to complete his last two seasons with the Cardinals with even consistently mediocre performances. It wasn't a whole lot different last year, and I don't see why we should expect anything to change this year. Add in the attitude, and I say, pack your bags.

Way to put both feet in your mouth, Marquis. Don't mess with Lou, man. He's not Dusty Baker.

what a nitwit. he spouts off after 2 spring training innings. and is likely to get traded to boston. or baltimore. or even the angels for g m junior. and with the dh, he won't get to swing the bat. which is the most compelling reason for him to be a cub; he provides a wonderful contrast as a hitter to lilly, hill, dempster, and marshall.

say hello to your number 5 starter, ryan dempster. as long as marquis fetches something valuable, i'm okay with it.

what were the questions is my question. Did he just go out and say something like this or did someone like Sullivan go and ask "well if you arent a starter, would you want to be traded". Marquis was shaky but he took the ball every 5 days.

I have got a family to think about as well, as in there is no way in hell I can subject them to watching this vastly over-paid whining bitch pitch...

lol...

Maybe I should cover my kid's eyes when he pitches.

Well, too bad, bitch. You chose to sign here and for all we know he was never guaranteed a rotation spot for three years.

• If it was 2006 Hendry would be there w a Bible and a contract

jacos 2 hours 7 min ago view
  • he subscribes to my twitter, he's beyond TCR. #yolo #swag

• Whoops. Maddon must have been reading TCR (for his daily crunch) and got confused.

CTSteve 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • kuhl is a righty, not a lefty.

i think maddon might think kuhl is a lefty, too. i wonder what the reasoning is for baez leading off vs a rightie.

• "trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo."

that's from my 1st post. there's no suck involved in that. maybe with a few less posts about bullshit that point would have jumped out more.

• crunch - you do know that, taking defense out of the equation, Trout has led the AL in wRC+ each of those years, right?

And, if you want to complain about position adjustment (which would be serious #crunchsplaining), he's been in the top 3 in the AL in WC (not park/league/position adjusted). And the only players ahead of him (if there were any players ahead of him) in any of those years have been DHs or 1B that play lousy defense.

But sure - Trout sucks (or at least isn't as good as WAR says). Because it factors in defense and position.

big_lowitzki 5 hours 20 min ago view
  • early tim tebow stuff rolling in...

ran a 6.7 60yd (above average)...shagging flies in RF and showed off a rather impressive arm a few times, but average-at best on most of his throws...hit a few over the fence (both fields), fouled or weak contact a few...he's got a touch of power

it'll be interesting to see who bites on this project, if anyone. he probably projected himself out of RF and into LF/1st because of his arm, but unless he can make that power work on a steady basis it'll be hard for him to play himself up anyone's system.

• LHP Clayton Richard (released by the Cubs earlier this month) is pitching very well as a starting pitcher for the San Diego Padres and could be a good candidate to get traded to a contender looking for a veteran SP before tomorrow night's post-season roster eligibility deadline.

Because they released him, the Cubs are paying most of Richard's 2016 salary (the Cubs are on the hooks for $2M, minus the pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum salary that is paid by the Padres).

Arizona Phil 7 hours 52 min ago view
  • it is honestly awesome (for real) that anyone would even have a strong opinion on AZL playoffs. i guess if you invest enough time watching it, you want to see a fair/just playoff structure.

plus, the kids deserve it.

• The AZL team with the best record over the course of the full 2016 AZL season and the only AZL team to play .600 ball (the AZL Dodgers) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, and the AZL East Division team with the best record over the course of the full season (the AZL Athletics) did not qualify for the AZL playoffs, either.

That's because of the ridiculous "split season" schedule most of the minor leagues now play, a stupid system that rewards mediocrity at the expense of the worthy.

Arizona Phil 8 hours 27 sec ago view
  • Despite good movement on his fastball, I think location kept him from getting Ks. Left some pitches up and away that got hammered up and away. Then of course Travis Wood gave up the 2-run double in the 7th, but both runs counted against Arrieta.

• "i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date."

This level of discourse is #charming.

#baseballtalk

Tito 8 hours 37 min ago view
  • I would be having this discussion with anyone who (a) blathered on ad nauseum about the topic. (See, "Olt, Mike, not given an opportunity") or (b) responded directly to what I posted (which you did).

Have a nice day.

#baseballtalk

Tito 8 hours 40 min ago view
  • what would you do without me? aside from having your posting content here cut by 75%+?

i'm gonna make you my main squeeze one day, bro. save the date.

• In this instance, yes, I care more about the result of this big thing that isn't really a big thing.

#crunchsplaining

#willlistentojeffsullivanmorethanyou

#blessyourheart

#hitler

#tcrmartyr

#billyhamiltonwar

#baseballtalk

Tito 8 hours 43 min ago view
  • Two things:

Fangraphs WAR #s include baserunning and Hamilton is elite at that. He leads in SBs with the 54 and and has an 87% rate which is really good. I'm sure once he gets on base he's able to take the extra base quite often too. Both those things will up his overall WAR value.

The differences between BR and FG WAR is pretty well documented online and thus If there are discrepancies it's fairly easy to figure out why. It's fairly well accepted that BR WAR is fine as a snapshot but FG is better at predicting future value.